Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Largest Night Race in the World!

Big news about the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon on my internet tonight!  I should send my entry fee soon!!


Las Vegas Review Journal
March 8, 2011
By Patrick Everson

Since taking over and rebranding Las Vegas' annual marathon, Competitor Group has made quick strides to upgrade the event's image.


In just two years under the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon banner, the event has more than doubled in size and gained access to more of the Strip, with the offshoot half-marathon now contested almost entirely on Las Vegas Boulevard, along both the northbound and southbound lanes.


The one glaring thing the event didn't have going for it: the full effect of the Las Vegas Strip.


It's got that now.


Earlier today, at a splashy outdoor news conference in front of Fashion Show Mall, Competitor announced the marathon and half-marathon, set for Dec. 4, will move from a morning start to an evening start.


"That's how we've always envisioned it," Competitor president Scott Dickey said. "The last 18 months, we've been talking about it pretty consistently with the casino, hotel, city and county partners to see how we could pull it off logistically."


And Dickey expects a huge impact.


"Instantaneously, this becomes the largest night race in the world. This is gonna be a gargantuan race," he said. "This will have a bucket-list effect around the world. It becomes a must-do race."

2 comments:

Allen said...

And you live there and don't have to travel for it. Cool!

lifestudent said...

Wow. That would be cool - but I've never done a night race. I would worry about how I fuel during the day, how I use my energy, etc. Like, by the time I got to the start ... would I already be pooped?