Sunday, July 12, 2009

SUMMARY, JULY 6-12, 2009

Daily Quote: "Wearing a heart-rate monitor on your easy runs is a good way to keep yourself honest. By wearing a heart rate monitor regularly in your training, you will gain accurate knowledge of the heart-rate range that is associated with a moderately easy effort. When you set out on an easy run, control your pace to keep your heart rate within that range. Your restraint will pay off the next time you're supposed to run hard." --Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald, from their excellent book, "Run Faster: from the 5k to the marathon."

Today is a easy recovery run, which sets me up nicely for tomorrow's hill program.

9:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 5 miles. Time, 50 minutes. Overall pace, 10 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Alta and Rainbow. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade, 6 mph. Average heart rate 138 bpm. Cardiac drift 144 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Shoes. New Balance 720. Body felt very comfortable and heart rate was very low. My heart appears to be stronger and has adapted to the 6.0 mph speed; I'll need to raise my speed to 6.1 mph (9:49 minute pace) for my future recovery runs.

During my run I listened to Beck's music "Mutations" that was moody and interesting to hear during my easy, slow run...I really enjoyed the CD! "Mutations" is yet another CD that I checked out from the local public library. I've heard Beck's acclaimed "Odelay," never had a chance to listen to "Mutations" until today. I'm looking forward to checking out many other CD's that I've never heard before during the rest of the Summer.


SUMMARY, JULY 6-12, 2009

The beginning of last week was a recovery from my 5k race, and the rest of the week I started my base building program and ran a total of 50 miles. I also continued my running streak and the last day I didn't run was February 14th. Next week my base building will begin in earnest, with the realization that the 2009 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon is only 21 weeks away!

I completed only one weight circuit training session as I hurt my right shoulder on the shoulder press machine. I'm not planning on any weight lifting sessions next week as to allow my shoulder to heal.

I was able to lose one pound last week and now weigh 177 pounds on a six foot frame. I only need to lose another seven pounds to reach my racing weight of 170 pounds, which is more difficult than it sounds as I need many calories to fuel my higher mileage. It's quite a balancing act, enough calories to fuel my running, but cut enough calories to lose weight.

My sleeping patterns have been very good and I'm now sleeping 7-8 hours nightly. My morning heart rates are also good, approximately 38-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: 15 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Friday: General Aerobic Run, Progression, 8 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 50 miles.

No comments: