Monday, July 20, 2009

$200 Entry Fee?

Daily Quote: "Ready or not, marathoners, the $200 entry fee has arrived. It's true--for those runners lucky enough to gain entry into the Boston Marathon through the race's affiliation with designated charitable organizations, the entry fee has now reached that high water mark. For international runners (those who achieved the qualifying time) the entry fee currently stands at "only" $150, while U.S. residents who qualified paid a paltry $110.
Too much, you say? Not for the 25,000 runners who were more than willing to pony up the cash. The 2009 race closed out more quickly than ever before; in late January a notice on the Boston Athletic Association Web site announced that the race had reached its quota. Even if you had achieved the qualifying standard, if you had not signed up by the, you were out of luck for this year. --Don Allison, Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Article "The Pain of (Paying for) the Marathon," July/August 2009, pg 110.

I'm very happy that I ran the 2008 Boston Marathon and it was an experience I'll cherish for the rest of my life, nevertheless, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to afford running Boston again as it's just too expensive. Not only was the entry fee expensive, but everything was expensive! I'm still thriving to pay off the credit card debt for that vacation. In the future, I'll probably continue to run the Las Vegas Marathon, maybe smaller rural marathons, and hopefully a couple of ultras too.

Today's plan is to raise my hill program speed to a new high of 6.3 mph as my heart rate has adapted to last week's 6.2 mph.

8:30 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness Gym, Alta & Rainbow location. Life Fitness Treadmill, Hill Program, Level 5 (the highest hill will be at a 5% grade), speed set at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles) for 6 miles. Time, 57:06 minutes. Average heart rate, 159 bpm. Cardiac drift, 168 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Drank 16 ounces of Cytomax during the run (the featured drink at this year's "2009 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon"). Shoes: New Balance 720.

My body did surprisingly well at this 6.3 mph speed with no aches nor pain, even my right ankle was o.k. with the effort. I'll hold this speed for next Monday's hill program as I continue to add mileage to the rest of my workouts...baby steps, baby steps!

Tomorrow will be a welcomed easy and short Recovery Run.

6 comments:

lifestudent said...

Luckily I dont have to ever worry about the Boston Marathon ;)

Maybe you can help me settle a debate with my husband. I think that most Vegas locals (and we narrowed down to cab drivers) tend to AVOID the strip and gambling in their free time. He thinks that everyone who lives in that area gambles all of their money away and spends all of their free time in the casino.

I think your opinion and knowledge should be pretty accurate on this topic :)

robison52 said...

Most residents of Las Vegas, cab driver included, avoid the Strip whenever they can. The Strip is our factory...and who wants to visit the factory on their day off? Most locals realize they don't build billion dollar hotel & casinos because they're losing money.

The last time I visited the Strip on my day off was to entertain visiting family from New York.

By the way, Las Vegas does have casinos out in the suburbs to lure residents...they have features that attract us like bowling alleys, movie theatres, day care centers, bingo parlors, arcades, etc. The infamous "Palace Station" is a local hangout that O.J. Simpson was arrested during a armed heist for his mementos last year.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://axomomew.bigheadhosting.net/bubadyz.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It gets down to select a correct partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day!

We are not acquainted yet? It’s easy to fix,
my name is Peter.
Generally I’m a venturesome gambler. for a long time I’m keen on online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to utilize special software facilitating winnings .
Please visit my web site. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be interested on your opinion..