Monday, July 13, 2009

Penance

Daily Quote: "Ultras are perfect vehicles for Catholics and lapsed Catholics to do penance for their sins and the sins of everyone they know or have ever known. As an added attraction, if you run a long enough ultra, you also get to experience apparitions, although to avoid getting theological about the subject, ultrarunners learn to refer to them as 'hallucinations.'" --Rich Benyo, "Marathon & Beyond," July/Aug 2009, pg 12.

I had to chuckle at the above quote! I'm Roman Catholic, but my wife is Southern Baptist, maybe I can convince my wife to allow me to run an ultra race next Spring as to fulfill my "penance?" Of course, she would probably counter by threatening another Catholic tradition..."Last Rites!!"

Now that my 5k training is over, I won't be doing 800's intervals, instead today my plan is to run a hill program on the gym's treadmill, which challenges me with intervals of multiple hills and valleys with each hill becoming progressively more difficult. During base building I won't be doing any 800's intervals until I start my marathon training.

10:00 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness Gym, Alta & Rainbow location. Life Fitness Treadmill, Hill Program, Level 5 (the highest hill will be at a 5% grade), speed set at 6.2 mph (9:40 minute miles) for 6 miles. Time, 58:00 minutes. Average heart rate, 158 bpm. Cardiac drift, 169 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm)

No aches nor pain, even my right ankle isn't complaining! My heart rate shows it has adapted to the threshold effort and I can now increase the effort of my hill program next Monday...I'll experiment with the speed at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles.) with the same Level 5 Hill Program.

Looking forward to a nice easy Recovery Run tomorrow!

4 comments:

Scheri said...

That is a great quote! My husband is doing a 50 miler in Leadville in two weeks, so I'll have to send him your quote to chew on :-) Thanks for sharing!!

LIrunner9 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LIrunner9 said...

Hey Bruce,

I didn't feel like I 'needed' the drink at 3 and 6, but I took them anyway as it was an 8 mile run, and I don't think in the heat (tho it wasn't that hot, but in the sun it was) I could have made it to 8 without drinking. I'm still experimenting. Temp said it was 69 degrees with virtually no humidity. It was delightful. Last week I tried to drink nothing on my runs, except for the long run on Friday, and I felt fine, never thirsty on the no drink runs, and also on the long runs drinking every 2 miles seemed to work, so just wanted to see on this 8 miler, how I would feel drinking every 3.

Since this was an 8 mile run, I just decided to drink a little at 3 and 6. I think my body is finally adapting to not drinking every mile, which is what I always did. Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's because I thought that is what you're supposed to do LOL

I also thought if you felt thirsty, it was too late to drink, dehydration was already setting in, and I'm learning that isn't quite the case. As long as I hydrate enough the day before, I should be good to go on short runs, with no drinking, and on the long runs, drinking every 2 or 3 miles. Guess I'm just trying to train my body for marathon day.

I'm also not wearing a fuel belt on race day. My coach doesn't believe in them, and NYC will have water at every mile. Kind of spooked about not wearing it, cause I'm not great at drinking out of a cup, but that's what this training is now for LOL. Haven't worn it for over a week now, and I'm actually getting used to the idea. I also didn't want to take the time to stop for a drink, but now that I know my body can handle every 2 or 3 miles, I'm more at ease with the idea of not wearing the fuel belt. Do you wear one? Or just rely on the race water??

Thanks again for all your advice:)!!

Jo

The Running Bob said...

I've wondered if my running was a form of flagellation. Loved the quote.

Thanks for your comments the other day -- I'm doing much better today.