Daily Quote: "This (long) run does wonders for building your aerobic capacity by triggering your body to produce more extensive capillary beds. That's how oxygen gets into your muscles from your bloodstream. As your muscles improve oxygen uptake, all your runs will go better, because more of the oxygen from your lungs gets to your muscles, creating better efficiency. For those of you who want to be faster, the long run is what gives you the aerobic base to apply to speed training later on." --Danny Dreyer from his unique running book, "Chi Running."
Next week is my cut-back/recovery week and today plan to make the most of my Long Run today, not only the longest run this year, but at a tad faster progressive pace.
8:00 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness, Alta and Rainbow location. Long Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 17 miles. Time, 2:42. First 8 miles at 6.2 mph (9:40 minute miles), next 9 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles). Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift 157 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: New Balance 720.
Tough run!! No aches nor pain. I wasn't happy with my heart rate numbers, which is a little higher than I wished, but hopefully my body will adjust to the speed and distances, I still have 19 weeks of training left before the "2009 Las Vegas Marathon."
I tried something different today, I tried not to listen to music or watch television for the first hour, than slapped on the my earphones as a reward for the rest of the run. Listened to the library's CD, "Everything To Everyone," by the group Barenaked Ladies. (What these kids call themselves today!!)
I drank a large swallow of Cytomax (the drink that will be on this year's marathon course) every three miles, which worked very well, wasn't thirsty at all, but did notice I was two pounds lighter after my run...should drink a little more fluids during my next long run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment