Daily Quote: "Don't over-taper your workouts before a big race. Drop 90 percent of your peak workout three weeks from the race date, to 75 percent at two weeks, and to 65 percent the week before." --Marty Jerome
My taper isn't anything like the above quote, as I'm only tapering for two weeks, next week will be around 60 percent just before the race. Realize that I'm not intending to actually "race" the "Labor of Love 50k" as I'm treating this adventure as a learning experience and hope to just finish the race in one piece.
Today is a Recovery Day, as I continue my tapering, only six more days until "The Labor of Love 50k Race"!!
8:45 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 58:21. Overall pace, 9:43 minute miles. Out and back on Lindell Road. Sunny, 75 degrees, Wind SW at 7 mph. Average heart rate, 142 bpm. Cardiac drift, 149 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Body feels loosey-goosey and fancy free...I felt very strong today and seemed to float over the roads rather than running. I have so much energy I may burst.
I'm going to need more sunscreen, this week the temperatures will be in the mid 90's throughout the week. I did get a bit of a sunburn today at the tip of my nose.
SUMMARY, APRIL 13-19, 2009
Last week was a taper week and ran 56 miles. I've continued my running streak and my last day off from running was February 14, 2009. I hope to avoid any diversity that comes my way...I may bundle myself in a cocoon when I'm driving my cab this week!
I'm happy to report that I've returned to doing three weight circuit sessions last week, undoubtedly my reduced mileage is helpful with my weight training. Sadly, no weight training this coming week as to avoid any possible injuries or burnout. Every muscle and joint in my body is going to be well rested before the race.
My body weight is 177 pounds on a six foot frame, which is heavier than I had planned before this race, I had hoped to be <170 pounds. Oh well, I'll do the best with the body that I have, maybe my extra fat will be much needed fuel for a 50k race?
I've been sleeping at least 8 hours daily and several days managed a 20-30 minute nap! My morning heart rates continue to be good, 39-42 bpm.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: General Aerobic Run, plus hills, 9 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: General Aerobic Run, 8 miles.
Saturday: Medium Long Run, 15 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Total weekly mileage: 56 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It is very smart of you to do the tapering before the big race. I should have done that since I had a half marathon last Saturday and never did any tapering.
Speaking of digital camera, I have Nikon Coolpix digital camera. It is terrific! Its nice to have pictures in the blog to show the readers what it looks like.
I couldn't help but think of you when I heard the reports on the Boston Marathon this week!
You're going to do great tomorrow!!
I'm so bummed I'm missing it. I haven't missed one of Joyce's races this entire year so far. I was either volunteering or racing in them and I feel so left out by not being there tomorrow.
I wish I could be there to cheer you on! Go Bloggers! lol
Have a great time, pace yourself, and I can't wait to hear your race report. Good luck!
Post a Comment