Monday, April 27, 2009

Sleepless Night

Daily Quote: "If you're running in the early morning or at night, even at dusk, wear white, yellow, or orange clothes. Also, make sure you have reflective gear on. Although some items (running shoes, jackets) already have reflective pieces on them, it doesn't hurt to add more." --Christine Luff, about.com guide.

Couldn't sleep last night due to sore lower jaw. I've had problems with my jaw since I was eleven years old when my step-father broke it with a heavy steel can during one of his many drunken bouts. The jaw became severely infected in December 2006 and had the jaw bone partially replaced, but now appears to be infected again. Decided to go for an easy run during the early morning hours as to distract myself from the pain. I'll be taking ibuprofen every four hours today and if that doesn't work I'll be calling my dentist tomorrow.

3:00 a.m. Easy Run. 6 miles. Time, 58:22. Overall pace, 9:43 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road (traverses the Las Vegas Marathon route). Clear, 57 degrees, wind NNE at 3 mph. Average heart rate, 144 bpm. Cardiac drift, 149 bpm.

I took the normal precautions with running at night by wearing reflective clothing, didn't listen to music, and carried my cell phone just in case. Torrey Pines Road is well lighted and didn't need to carry or wear lights.

I'm going back to bed and hope to sleep a little before work at 12:00 p.m. It's going to be a very long night at work. I now regret taking last Friday off as I may need time off if I need extensive dental surgery again.

3 comments:

Rookie on the Run said...

Ugh! That jaw pain sounds, well, painful! I have jaw pain most of the time, too. Mine is due to TMJ, though, so I'm sure it's not even close to the pain you feel. I hope it's not getting infected again.

Take care of yourself!

Sarah said...

Bruce...you just can't seem to catch a break these days. :( You are long overdue for some good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

Oh man...sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the dentist will do something to help you. It was good that you went for your run to alleviate the pain. I cannot imagine running at 3 in the morning.