Sunday, April 12, 2009

Red Rock Canyon

Daily Quote: "Club running offers a world of possibility: new races, new distances, new competitors, new teammates, new coaching, new fans, and new terrain. These changes are often what you need to ignite your passion once more." --Michelle Rafferty, from the article, "One Manhattan Girl's Reflections on Joining a Team," Running Times Magazine, May 2009, pg 55.

Yesterday I ran 22 miles and decided today to meetup for my first run with "The Wild Bunch Running Meetup Group" for an easy 13 miles around the Red Rock Canyon Loop. We were to meet at the Red Rock fee station at 8:00 a.m., but nobody was there. I waited for about ten minutes and decided to start off on my own. I saw a trail cutoff from the road called "Calico Basin Trail," and thought what a great day for a trail run. I ran 5 miles out on the trail that was extremely hilly and rocky, a real test on my ankles, decided to run back 5 miles on the paved road to the Visitor Center.

8:10 a.m. Red Rock Canyon. 10 miles (half on trails) Time 1:50. Overall pace, 11:02 minute miles. Partly Cloudy, 49-53 degrees, with winds east at 9 mph. Average heart rate, 149 bpm. Cardiac drift, 155 bpm. Both my ankles are a little sore as my body isn't accustomed to hilly and rocky trails, but should be o.k. tomorrow with consistent icing.

I hope to try and run with the Wild Bunch again. I realize it is Easter and many probably couldn't make it.

No comments: