Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fresh and Frisky

Daily Quote: "For you serious, hard-charging veterans, keep in mind that less can, indeed, truly be better. You may not need to follow a seemingly interminable 15-20 week training program. My experienced marathoners usually follow a 12-week plan. Of course, the workout components very greatly from one runner to another, depending on their strengths and weaknesses. However, I've learned that being a tad undertrained, but fresh and frisky, is better than being overtrained and toasted at the starting line." --Roy Benson, MPE, from his article "Short-Season Marathon Training: A Lesson from the 100th Boston" in Running Times Magazine, May 2009, pg. 28.

I haven't had the high weekly mileage that I normally would have before a marathon, not alone for my very first ultra-marathon, and often wonder how much I'm undertrained. Roy Benson's quote above has me thinking that my current 60+ mileage weeks should be sufficient and at least I'm not overtrained...I am indeed "fresh and frisky!"

Only 17 more days before the "Labor of Love 50k" race and my employer, Checker Cab Company, still hasn't approved my having the night off before the race. Oh well, I will run this race whether or not I have a full night of sleep. I drive my cab until midnight, and the race starts at 6:00 a.m. (the organizers wish the runners to be at the start around 5:00 a.m.) I'm thinking that if I must work Friday night I'll be able to sleep approximately four hours before the race. I usually sleep fitfully before a race anyway and not overly concerned about sleep-racing.

Today is my Medium Long Run.

8:00 a.m. Medium Long Run. 13 miles. Time, 2:02. Overall pace, 9:24 minute miles. Out and back on Lindell Road. Partly Cloudy, 57-61 degrees, Wind SW at 14 mph, with 22 mph gusts. Average heart rate, 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 149 bpm. Body feels excellent, no aches nor pain, and felt like I could run easily run faster and longer. I'm in excellent spirits and anxious to start racing again. I'm getting accustomed to running in the wind, but know I'll undoubted suffer allergy symptoms at work tonight.

3 comments:

Marci said...

Gosh I hope you get the night off work. I have read that the night before is less important than the sleep banked previous to that.

Val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

Oh yes that wind can be brutal sometimes, but I too am getting used to it. I've been running at Red Rock and it is pretty much a gaurantee for the high wind running. At least it cools ya down right? lol

So were you running in the rain? I heard the rain at about 6am this morning and I wanted to so badly to get my gear on and run in it..but I was afraid of waking the baby who was sleeping in my room :o(

I don't know how I deleted the other post..hmm