Sunday, March 8, 2009

SUMMARY: MARCH 2-8, 2009

Daily Quote: "The kilometer is a beautiful measurement when you reach the latter stages of a marathon. Mile markers are too far apart when you're counting down after 20 or 22 miles. Kilometer markers come along more frequently. A kilometer is the equivalent of less than two and a half times around a track, a distance much easier to deal with mentally than a full mile." --Richard Leutzinger, from Marathon & Beyond Magazine article "Running Far, Far From Home," Jan/Feb 2009, pg. 59.

Today was my longest run this year, a 13 miler, I'm slowly getting myself back into shape, hopefully in time before the "Labor of Love 50k" on April 25th.

9:10 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 13 miles. Time, 2:01. Overall pace, 9:19 minute miles. Out and back to Carey Blvd. Partly Cloudy, 59-63 degrees, Wind SW at 22 mph! Average heart rate 142 bpm. Cardiac drift 147 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes, Nike Air Structure. Next Sunday I plan on adding a marathon pace mile (8:00 minute mile) in the middle of my Long Run. Body felt tired at the beginning of my run, and just kept getting more tired...looking forward to a very easy recovery run tomorrow. The winds have been creating havoc on my sinuses due to allergies.



SUMMARY, MARCH 2-8, 2009



Last week I ran a total of 52 miles, which is the highest weekly mileage for the year. I ran seven days again, appears that I have a streak going...my last day I had off from running was February 14th, 2009. Only seven weeks until the "Labor of Love 50k Race!"

I've lost another pound and currrently 177 pounds on a six foot frame. I'm not exactly dieting, but have been striving to eat less animal protein. My ideal racing weight is 170 pounds and am very close to reaching this goal before my ultra-marathon, the "Labor of Love 50k" on April 25th.

I accomplished three weight circuit sessions last week and was able to increase weights in all weight stations. I've been lifting weights immediately after work, and once I start doing doubles as well as commuting back and forth from work on foot, may have to find some other time to lift weights. I have no idea how I'm going to find time for weights once my mileage reaches 70+ miles per week, I'll worry about it once I cross that bridge.

My new work hours (12:00 pm - 12:00 am) has been perfect for me as I'm able to sleep soundly for 7-8 hours and still awake in time for perfect running weather. My morning heart rates are good, 38-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: Easy Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: General Aerobic Run, 9 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Sunday: Medium Long Run, 13 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 52 miles.

Next week my plan is to have all my Recovery Runs become 6 miles, and increase my Wednesday and Sunday longer runs by one mile.

I still have a very busy day yet. This afternoon I'll be taking Suzie out to see the movie, "The Reader," and then at 6:00 p.m. will be bowling on the Bishop Gorman League at the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino.

5 comments:

Rookie on the Run said...

Wow! You are doing great! Good work getting in all those miles. You're going to be ready for your 50K! Have fun at the movies & bowling. I hope your allergies improve... I'm feeling them right now, too. Ugh!

Sarah said...

Hey there! Sounds like your running is really progressing. Glad to hear that you are not having any more knee problems.

Unknown said...

That is a good comment. I was wondering about that when I was doing the Amsterdam marathon a couple years ago with the use of km instead of mile. Truthfully, I like the km than the mile because it add up faster when using km.

Val said...

Hi! I'm now following your blog. I'm running Vegas too. I volunteer or run at every race Joyce at Calico Racing puts on. Her races are amazing. The red rock marathon and 1/2 last weekend was beautiful!

Well I hope to see you at Labor Of Love. I will either run the 10k or Volunteer. Those ultramarathoners are AMAZING! It's such an inspiration to serve them. Good LUCK!

Andrew/Dad..+ said...

Glad to see you back on track. Keep on running.
God Bless.
Jimmy. ( :