Daily Quote: "On why she is still running: (I run) to keep fit in my 50's and beyond, and because it's fun. It's a passion and a desire to stay fit. There is no finish line." --A brief chat with 1984 Olympic marathon gold medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson after her win in the 3,000m yesterday, March 21, 2009. From RunnersWeb.com
Joan Benoit Samuelson continues to be inspirational for me! Despite not having raced on an indoor track since setting the W45 American record in the 3,000m in 2003, Joan dominated the W50 3,000m and won in an age-division American record 10 minutes 22.69 seconds. Following Benoit Samuelson across the line was the W55 winner Kathryn Martin (Northport, N.Y.) in 10:59.36. It was Martin's American record of 10:23.84 from 2004 that Benoit Samuelson broke.
This weekend I've been forced back to the treadmill due to high winds with dust advisory, plus the Mulberry Tree pollen that I'm suffering through makes for a tough training week.
8:15 a.m. Recovery Run. 24 Hour Fitness on Alta/Rainbow location. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 3 miles at 6.3 mph and last three miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate, 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift, 147 bpm. (Note my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Run felt very easy and comfortable and felt mellow listening to the CD by Phil Collins, "Testify." Yesterday my right ankle was sore after 16 miles on the treadmill, but appears fine today.
A blast from the past. Found old friend and runner, Thomas Woodrow, on facebook who once was the about.com running/jogging guide. Thomas was extremely helpful when I first started running in 1999 and happy to hear he's doing well.
SUMMARY: MARCH 16-22, 2009
I haven't been able to provide a daily update of my training due to time constraints between running and working, I hope to do better next week. Last week I ran a total of 60 miles, which is my highest weekly mileage this year. I ran seven days again and continued my running streak...my last day off from running was February 14th, 2009! I'm still suffering from allergies and the typical high winds of March makes it very difficult to stay motivated with my training.
Only five more weeks until the "Labor of Love 50k" race and my Long Run miles is still relatively low, therefore I'm planning only a two week taper before the race. I hope to have at least one 20+ Long Run before the race, next Saturday I plan on running an 18 miler. My main emphasis for my very first ultra-marathon is to have fun with no time goals and treat this race as a learning experience.
I accomplished just two weight circuit training workouts as I didn't have time to squeeze one more weight session between running and working. I hope to do better next week.
My sleep has been much better this week, I've returned to sleeping soundly for 7-8 hours daily. My morning heart rates have returned to normal, 38-41 bpm. The allergy medicine "Benadryl" has been working well and has me sleeping like a log.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: General Aerobic Run, 8 miles.
Wednesday: Medium Long Run, 11 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles.
Saturday: Long Run, 16 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 60 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a great week! Sorry to hear about your allergy problems. :( It got cold here again, so I am back to the treadmill again for a little while. :)
Post a Comment