Daily Quote: "Throw the notion of three large meals a day out the window -- it doesn't work for runners. You need more calories during the day than sedentary people, so it's better to spread them out with a small meal every three to four hours. You'll find that eating mini meals will help maintain your energy levels throughout the day." --Christine Luff, about.com running/jogging guide.
I've been eating mini-meals since reading the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips, which was nine years ago! I'm a big believer in spreading out the calories every three hours and often encourage beginner runners to do the same.
Today was my longest run this year, a 12 miler, I still have a long way to go before I'm ready for the "Labor of Love 50k" on April 25th.
9:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 12 miles. Time, 1:50. Overall pace, 9:12 minute miles. Out and back on Jones Boulevard. Partly Cloudy, 59-63 degrees, Wind SW at 7 mph. Average heart rate 143 bpm. Cardiac drift 149 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes, Nike Air Structure. Body felt good, no aches nor pain, but only carried one bottle of Gatorade and should have brought more fluids as I was fairly dehydrated after my run.
I've been having problems logging onto the computer lately...when I awake, my wife is on the computer...after my run, wife is on the computer...before I leave for work, wife is on the computer! I don't begrudge her computer time as she is home 24 hours a day, seven days a week and totally understand how addicting the Internet, but look forward to her becoming more active outside the home. Her doctor says she can start driving her truck next week as she is getting more mobile after taking out her metal staples last Tuesday.
SUMMARY: FEBRUARY 23 MARCH 1, 2009
I'm now running seven days a week for a total of 48 miles and still have a long ways to go before I'm ready for my first ultra-marathon race. I'll increase my mileage again next week, then a recovery week afterwards.
I'm now 178 pounds on a six foot frame and body feels very comfortable at this weight, nevertheless I would prefer to be at my racing weight of 170 pounds by April 25th for the "Labor of Love 50k" race.
I accomplished three sessions of weight circuit training last week and didn't increase the poundage at all. I could increase my weights on the shoulder press and chest press machines next week.
I've continued to sleep soundly for 7-8 hours nightly and my morning heart rates have been very good, 39-41 bpm.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight circuit training.
Tuesday: Easy Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: General Aerobic Run, 9 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight circuit training.
Friday: General Aerobic Run 6 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight circuit training.
Sunday: Medium Long Run, 12 miles.
Total weekly mileage: 48 miles.
Next week I plan to increase by one mile my Wednesday and Sunday runs, depending how my body feels.
Our bowling team One Wonders won't be bowling tonight as Mary and Glenn will be at the NASCAR Winston Cup races, we'll bowl a makeup game next Saturday. Last week Becky Ely had replaced my wife on our team and appears to be enjoying the bowling experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like you are moving right along. :) I am so happy to hear that your knee isn't causing you any more problems.
Thanks for your suggestions on my blog! I have cut out all caloric drinks, except for my one Starbucks. I get the smallest size, with non fat milk and no whipped cream, so it is only 190 calories. I just can't give it up. I will have to cut elsewhere. :)
Hello...
Keep the good work!! congrats..!!!
I am also my self a runner (for abour 4 years now)...
Im from Mexico City...
Will be coming to vegas in the last sunday of may...
I was hoping to find a 5k or 5 mile run to run in Vegas..
Any hints whether there is one, or any recomendations of a website where I can look up for one!?
My email address zyntyaponce@gmail.com
Thanks
Zyntya
Post a Comment