Daily Quote: "Every marathon runner needs a plan for when the gun goes off in their marathon. Without such a strategy, you will drift badly, and when things go wrong your marathon will rapidly turn into an increasingly bad nightmare. I hasten to add that your plan needs to be flexible enough to accommodate the unexpected, such as when things go wrong. --Roy Stevenson, "Running the Perfect Marathon," Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Jan/Feb 2009, pg 123.
I must admit I currently don't have a plan for my very first ultra-marathon, "The Labor of Love 50k," as their isn't much material or training schedules for such a distance. I'm planning on running very conservatively with no time goals, an emphasis on not getting hurt, and speed walking up steep grades...that's the only plan I have. My current training consists with what worked for me with marathons, and heaven knows what I'll do if things go wrong or unexpected!
I'm back on the treadmill today due to 25-30 mph gusts in the Vegas valley, doing my best to keep my allergies at bay; I hope to return to the roads tomorrow.
8:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. 24 Hour Fitness on Alta/Rainbow. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 3 miles at 6.3 mph and last three miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac drift 146 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) My heart rate is lower than my Recovery Run last week, which either shows I'm adjusting to the treadmill or I'm getting stronger. Shoes, New Balance 720.
It's hard to return to work today when I know my wife is home...how I wish to join her on the couch!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Make sure you don't blow away!
I bet what you are doing currently will be a terrific plan for you!
keep it up.
I finally check-out the Labor of Love's race profile -- oh boy, that is some elevation gain! The race name, Labor of Love, truely is appropriate.
Post a Comment