Daily Quote: "Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else" --Judy Garland
My wife has today and tomorrow off for the Veteran Day holiday, therefore my training week is slightly changed. Normally I would do my Long Run on Monday as I can go to bed earlier on Sunday night and awake earlier on Monday, but I shouldn't run over 3+ hours this morning when my wife has the day off. Decided to switch hard days, I'll be doing my Long Run on Wednesday and today I'll do my Tempo Run that's quicker and will be home sooner.
7:00 a.m. Tempo Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 9 miles. Warmup: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Tempo run: 5 miles at 8 mph (7:30 minutes per mile pace). Cooldown: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 164 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 180 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Tough run! No aches nor pain, even my right ankle didn't ache!!
Next week I'll attempt to increase my speed to 8.1 mph, but will decrease the distance as to give my body time to acclimate to the new speed. Felt a little strange running a Tempo Run so early in the morning, only two other exercisers in the gym at this time.
SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF NOVEMBER 3-9, 2008
I have four weeks left until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon! Only one more week of hard training before I begin my taper...can I hang tough for another week? I accomplished something this week that I've often dreamed about achieving...I ran 100 miles this week!!! Now I know how my body feels with this much mileage...extremely tired! I've been running on the very edge of my ability; I know I'm courting disaster as my right ankle can attest, but this week has been such an accomplishment I'll never forget.
I'm still 171 pounds on a six foot frame, which isn't surprisingly as I've been eating like a horse with such high mileage...I'm always hungry! I only need to lose six more pounds to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds.
I only had time to accomplish one weight circuit session this week, oh well, my only emphasis now is to run like the wind.
I managed to sleep 7-8 hours nightly, but my morning heart rates are climbing, the highest being 50 bpm...my normal morning heart rates are 38-41 bpm. I'm very close to over-training and should reduce my training volume next week (duh, do ya think Bruce?)
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Long Run, 23 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles, Recovery Runs, AM: 6 miles. PM: 8 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 8 miles.
Thursday: Doubles, Recovery Runs, AM: 6 miles. PM: 8 miles.
Friday: Medium-Long Run, 16 miles.
Saturday: Doubles, Recovery Runs, AM: 6 miles. PM: 8 miles.
Sunday: Medium-Long Run, 11 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 100 miles!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I would love to get 100 miles covered in a MONTH-let alone a week!
WOW!!
Congrats on 100 miles! What an awesome accomplishment - so far. The reason I say "so far" is because as awesome as this week has been, the best is yet to come for you. Thanks to your hard work, great planning and dedication to the plan, you will be strong and confident heading into the race. Taper well and keep on rocking!
That is an amazing amount of miles. I am amazed.
I am just about to sign up for the Las Vegas Marathon. I want to complete one so badly and while I am still trained for it.
I am no where near your speed. I trained to run it at an 11:30 pace.
But I would like to meet you and maybe run with you (casually) before the big event. Let me know!
cewtwo (at) gmail.com
Post a Comment