Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Checker Cab Contract Ratified!!

Daily Quote: "If you can fill the unforgiving minute/With sixty seconds' worth of distance run/Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it/And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!" --Rudyard Kipling's famous line in the the poem "Time."

The drivers at Checker Cab Company had been working without a contract since December 1, 2007 and we came very close to striking last weekend, at the very last minute, of the twelfth hour, the company ratified the contract!! The company didn't get the 7% cutback in wages they wanted, but we didn't get a raise we needed either. A tremendous weight has been lifted off me! This contract lasts four years and my wife and I agreed we'll be better prepared for a strike next time. I can now send in my entry fee for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon!!

Yesterday ran my typical "doubles" (Early AM: 6 miles, Later AM: 8 miles) and my right ankle is feeling much better! I'm now ready for my weekly "Tempo Run" as I make an attempt to add another mile to the tempo.

9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 8 miles. Warmup: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Tempo run: 4 miles at 8 mph (7:30 minutes per mile pace). Cooldown: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 162 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 179 bpm. Right ankle did whimper a little during the last tempo mile, but not enough to stop my run. I wasn't in such a bad Funk today as I always look forward to my speedwork as it's a big change of pace (both literally and figuratively) from my usual distance runs.

Thankfully I was able to jump on my usual treadmill next to the wall and didn't have to concern myself with any mechanical problems. I didn't wear any music today, but tomorrow I plan on visiting the public library and checking-out some CD's as I plan on adding more spice and variety to my longer runs.

11 comments:

Kim said...

So So Glad to hear the Great News!

LIrunner9 said...

WOO HOO, FANTASTIC NEWS!! Now you can run in peace:) As I said before, LVM watch out, Vegas Runner is going to CRUSH you!!!

BeachRunner said...

Perfect timing. Now you can relax and kick some LVM butt, as my wife just posted above me, WOO HOO.

Allen said...

Whew!! Good news!

Marci said...

good, glad you can concentrate on your marathon now!

Sherri said...

thank goodness. no raise, but at least no strike.
get ready to run in December! (I know you have been)

The Running Bob said...

Great news that you'll be able to keep your streak alive!

Tanya said...

I'm really happy and relieved for you. Keep that running streak going and now you can run with a little peace of mind!

Sarah said...

That is great news! Now you can focus on your marathon..I am so happy and relieved for you!

Marcy said...

Alright! YAY for good news ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you Bruce!
That's great!