Daily Quote: "Winning isn't about today, it's about tomorrow. A winner never rests on his laurels. It's not good enough to win one race or to have one good season. The winner is the person who gets up tomorrow morning and starts all over again, concentrating again on doing his best, whatever that might be." --Amby Burfoot, from his insightful book, "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life."
Today is Monday, which is my scheduled Long Run and I'll strive to repeat last week's workout...same mileage, same course, but hopefully with a slightly faster time.
8:30 a.m. Long Run. 23 miles. Time, 3:33. Overall pace, 9:15 minute miles. Partly Cloudy 62-65, little wind. Out-and-back on the Las Vegas Marathon course. Ran the last three miles at marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles. Average heart rate 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift 170 bpm. Ran three minutes slower than last week and my right ankle is slightly sore again, not exactly according to today's plan. I'll be RICEing my ankle throughout the day.
I'm in a bad Funk. My running is becoming more and more like work! I feel like all I do is eat, sleep, run and drive a cab. My workouts are stale and mind numbing. I never listen to music when I run do to safety concerns and wanting to simulate my race experience as much as possible, but I'm seriously considering on listening to music during my longer runs as to spice up my marathon training. Tomorrow I'm going to dust off my Sony Sport CD Player and give it a whirl.
SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 27 - NOVEMBER 2, 2008
I have five weeks left until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon! Thankfully, I only have two more hard training weeks before my taper, which can't arrive too soon as I'm already starting to suffer burn out. Last week I was able to nudge my mileage to 95 miles (the week before was 94 miles), which is my highest weekly mileage ever!! My body and mind is starting to suffer from high mileage training, don't know if I'll be able to increase my mileage again, but I'll monitor my body on daily basis and determine what my body can handle.
I've lost one pound of weight last week, I'm now 171 pounds on a six foot frame. I'm so very close towards reaching my racing weight of 165 pounds. I still eat too much junk on the weekends, next weekend I WILL be more disciplined.
Last week I found the time for two weight circuit training sessions! This week I doubt I'll reach my ideal of three weight sessions, but will try and do at least two sessions again.
I managed to sleep 7-8 hours nightly, but my morning heart rates are starting to creep upwards, the high being 46 bpm...my normal morning heart rates are 38-41 bpm. This might be a sign that my body is tired and is on the verge of overtraining. I need to monitor my body very closely this week.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Long Run, 23 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles, Recovery Runs. AM: 6 miles. PM: 8 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 8 miles.
Thursday: Doubles, Recovery Runs. AM: 6 miles. PM: 8 miles.
Friday: Medium Long Run, 16 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Runs. AM: 4 miles. PM: 6 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 94 miles!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Looking at your schedule, I can see why you think you only eat, sleep, run and drive a cab because that is all you do! You are crazy (but in a good way).
Maybe try and switch things up so the runs don't seem like such a drag. I don't know how you can plug away at so many miles a week. Maybe you can take a day to totally just relax and not think about running.
Bruce, You can make it to two more weeks!!
Sounds like it's time to try a new activity and mix it into your running. Cycling or swimming if your gym has a pool. Go for a spinning class or try Yoga. Run more trail runs/races You need to get out of the funk! I can't wait till you go for your Ultra!!
LOL at d10's comment. And I must agree that she offers good advice.
Stay positive and hang in their Bruce. You are doing great.
Wow! You get the dedication award!
Your reports on your training inspire me. It makes me want to train harder and keep pushing forward! Way to stay strong and focused. I have to ask, how to measure you resting HR? Do you wear a monitor all of the time?
Howdy Marci! Yup, Garfield (nickname for my Garmin Forerunner 305) has a heart rate monitor that I do wear most of the time...although on some occasions, during Recovery Runs, I don't wear any devices, not even a watch.
I know things are stressful right now, sending ((((no stress hugs))))) your way. Did you ever get some new music??
Stay strong my friend, only 5 weeks left till LVM. Me thinks your body is telling you to take it easy. Your mileage is incredible, so maybe one day of rest is in the cards? Hang in there, before you know it you'll be in taper mode, and then race day. You're going to crush the course on 12/7!!!
23-miles @ 9.15 mile pace with the last 3 @ 8.00 mile pace. Way to go. that really gets me out the door to get my run in. Blogs really inspire me. God-Speed friend, and hope you have a great race in 5-weeks.
Your Pal, Jimmy. I ran 15-miles Sunday. My longest run in over 3-years. 1:12.47 (8.51) mile pace. It's was "God's Strength to RUN", but some many runners have give me the courage to run on. "Thanks!!!!
Post a Comment