Saturday, November 15, 2008

Music For the Heart

Daily Quote: "Songs that make our hearts soar can make them stronger too, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday. They found that when people listened to their favorite music, their blood vessels dilated in much the same way as when laughing or taking blood medications." --Maggie Fox, Reuters.com, from article, "Music to your ears? Music for your heart, too"

Appears the more I read about music the tougher the argument against running with music. Today I borrowed two CD's from the Clark County Library, Suzanne Vega's "Beauty & Crime," and Tori Amos' "American Doll Posse," which should help my motivation during my next week's runs.

9:00 a.m. Medium Long Run, 16 miles. Time, 2:39. Overall pace, 9:56 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road that traverses the Las Vegas Marathon course. Perfect weather! Partly Cloudy 61-63 degrees with little wind. Average heart rate: 148 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 159 bpm. No marathon pace miles today as I'm still pampering my right ankle.

Thursday an old friend, Laura Geverink, had sent me notification of her joining "FaceBook," therefore had to join FaceBook to respond. Discovered they have different "groups" at the site including an Ultra-marathon group and also a 2008 Las Vegas Marathon group! What a fun way to stay connected with other runners!! I really don't need another site to keep me busy, as I'm overwhelmed as it is, but networking with old friends, classmates, chessplayers, and runners seems like a winner. I'm also communicating on FaceBook with Charles White (cewtwo) from Denver, Colorado who is also running the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. We're planning on doing a light recovery run when he arrives in Las Vegas.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have found facebook to be a great way to reconnect with old friends from school. It is fun to see what everyone looks like now and what people are up to. :)

robison52 said...

Howdy Sarah! Drop me a line on FaceBook so I can connect to you as a friend. My name is Bruce Robison.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. There are so many websites that allow you to connect with others who have similar interest. Nice job on the run.