Friday, November 14, 2008

Ended Running Streak

Daily Quote: "....The rules to a "Streak" is simple. The USRSA founded in 2000 requires members to (Run a minimum of one continuous mile within each calendar day) without the help of any mechanical aids other than prosthetic devices. Membership is open to runners who have met the criteria for a minimum of one year. My goal is not to become a member, but running for at least 1/year without a day off sounds very cool." --Jimmy "Jtornadoman" Jacobs, from his blog, Richlands Road Runner.

Yesterday I had ended my own little running streak as I allowed my right ankle more time to recover. I hadn't intended to run a "streak,"I just accumulated many training days as to prepare for my very first ultra-marathon this coming April (The Labor of Love 50k) and the long training run of the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon on December 7th. My last day of total rest was Monday, May 26, 2008 when I took a day off from running to spend quality time my wife on Memorial Day. My shortest run during this last "streak" was four miles. I don't know if I will have another long chain of training runs, but will listen to my body daily to determine my running schedule.

Today, I decided on running one short easy Recovery Run as to allow my right ankle a little more rest.

9:30 a.m. Recovery Run, 6 miles. Time, 57:20. Overall pace, 9:33 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines road that traverses the Las Vegas Marathon course. Partly Cloudy, 70 degrees, Winds NNE at 15 mph. Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 146 bpm.

Nice easy run and right ankle feels fine with no aches nor pain! Tomorrow I'll attempt a easy Medium-Long Run and determine if I'm ready to add some marathon pace miles into the mix.

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

I cant believe its 70 in Vegas :( I so wish I was there. Now with a baby it looks like my visits that used to happen about three times a year will now happen about zero times.