Daily Quote: "Honestly, the only gadget that I really want is my Ipod. But if you run without music I would not suggest starting now. It is a crutch. And I need it. I love it and I don't want to run at all without it. But sadly, most races make you leave your Ipod at home. So do not start using one if you don't already; otherwise you'll be sad like I am when I have to race without it." --Nat from her blog, The Negative Split
UGH! Now Nat tells me!! I'm already addicted to music on my longer road runs!!!
Normally I would do my Long Run on Mondays so I can hit the sack early on Sunday night and awake early on Monday. This week my wife has Monday and Tuesday off from work due to Veteran's Day, therefore I juggled my training schedule...Monday's hard workout was a quick Tempo Run and today's hard workout is my Long Run, this way I was able to spend more quality time with her on Monday and Tuesday.
I was only able to sleep five hours last night before I attempted my longest training run for the fall...not much I can do about sleep as I work 12-hour shifts. Oh well, during the night before my races I'm usually so nervous I don't get much sleep anyways, therefore running with little sleep will simulate my racing conditions...o.k., I'm rationalizing about running with little sleep, but what else can I do?
8:00 a.m. Long Run. 24 miles. Time, 3:42. Overall Pace, 9:15 minute miles. Miles 12-16 at marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road (traverses on the Las Vegas Marathon course) Partly Cloudy, 58-66 degrees, winds East at 8-10 mph. Average heart rate: 147 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 154 bpm. Right ankle is sore, but I'm not limping and doesn't have a sharp pain, but as a precaution I'm taking tomorrow off from running and treating the ankle to RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation.) After my long runs I tend to be upbeat, but today I'm totally exhausted and have a depressed mood.
In past years my longest training run has been 20 milers, but this year my focus is on the "Labor of Love 50k" in April. My plan is to treat the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon as a long training run for my first ultra race. I don't have any time goals for the marathon, just a nice strong training effort would be fine, although I tend to be more competitive for my own good.
Today's training music was a CD we bought at our last concert in Primm, Nevada, "Foreigner: Complete Greatest Hits." I have to admit, listening to music has helped me tremendously during this last hump before the marathon! Normally, I wouldn't shake my booty at traffic stops. Hopefully I'll be able to run music free during my upcoming taper and race.
Do they have a M.A.? Music Anonymous?? My name is Bruce, and I'm addicted to music on my road runs. Group: "Hello Bruce!" Couldn't hear the group's greeting due to my earphones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Since I do most of my running alone, I'm looking to get an ipod as soon as possible. I love music, and anything to take my mind off the miles is great. GREAT-JOB on your 24-miler. Man you are smokin. I can't wait to read about your marathon. Have a great week, & weekend,
Your buddy,
Jimmy J.... Haven't got to the library lately. sometimes there's just to many things to do - Plus finding time to run....
one more comment,
I don't know about others, but my training is different than my racing. How - Someone might ask me? Well, it's like this. When I'm training I don't have my mind as focused as I do when I'm racing. (I really don't need music then), because the guy or gal in front of me, and how fast I can get to the finish keeps me going. Plus it seems like every time I step out the door to run now I have to make a pit stop to (be-excused), though sometimes it's behind a big bush on the Creeper Trail, ha, ha. (I have raced since April 1996, and I can only remember 3 or 4 times I had to stop during a race to (be excused). The mind is a crazy thing sometimes. If your is like mine it plays tricks on me sometimes. Have another great week.
Jimmy J....
I am completely addicted to my iPod! One day it was raining out, so I had to leave it in the car. It was tough enough running in th rain, but no iPod was awful. I love my music. :) I do fine at races without it because there is so much going on around me.
i can do with or without the ipod. i enjoy the conversations with my 4 yr old better. and talking makes me keep in that aerobic zone. when out on the trails i often take ipod, but sometimes in the winter mornings i love the absolute stillness ---- something you don't have in vegas i bet....i'll definitely take you up next year on the running routes at aapex as the strip can get a little boring - though the overpasses make for a good hill workout!!! also would be great to have a local cabbie to show me the real fun spots. sounds like you are peaking just in time for a good 26.2 mile training run.
That quote hits home for me. I am wary of listening to music and wearing my ipod when I run outside, for fear I will love it and need it all the time.
Nice 24 miler. Wow.
I love my music when I'm running long, but I occasionally enjoy running unplugged for shorter runs.
Post a Comment