Daily Quote: "Good nutrition is always important while receiving your cancer treatment. Adequate daily supplies of calories, protein, vitamins, and minerals are needed to promote healing. A good diet will help to promote healing and aid in minimizing side effects." --Dr. Parks, from his letter, "Cancer Chemotherapy Orientation."
My first day of Chemotherapy I received a packet from the Registered Nurse that's given to all patients, it contains:
--Cancer Chemotherapy Orientation Letter.
--Booklet, "Chemotherapy and Your," from the National Cancer Institute.
--Magazine, "Caring4Cancer," Spring 2011.
--CareNotes, a letter in regards to the drug Cisplatin, how to use the drug, warnings and side effects.
--Pocket Calendar, to keep track of appointments.
The Cancer Chemotherapy Orientation Letter gave the following recommendations to aid in promoting good nutrition:
*Drink two or more cups of milk daily. Cheese, cottage cheese, ice cream, or yogurt may be substituted.
*Eat at least two 4-ounce servings of meat daily. Eggs, cheese, beans, or peanut butter may be substituted.
*Eat at least two fruits daily. One should be a citrus fruit such as an orange, grapefruit, or tomato.
*Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables daily Please include dark green vegetables, or dark yellow vegetables, unless directed not to by your physician.
*Eat at least four servings of grain or breads, such as bread, cereal, oatmeal, rice of pasta.
*Liberally add butter.
*To increase calories and protein eat nourishing snacks or add liquid supplements such as Instant Breakfast, Ensure, or Sustacal.
*Drink plenty of fluids, at least 6-8 glasses daily.
The letter also stated, "You may wish to eat 6-8 small or "light" meals rather than 2-3 regular meals daily. Don't allow yourself to feel either "too empty" or "too full." To avoid nausea, you may wish to avoid greasy, fried or spicy foods. If you find cooking smells annoying have someone else prepare your meals for you and eat them at a cooler temperature. Remember to eat slowly and chew food well. A pleasant atmosphere or meals enjoyed with friends and family often helps to stimulate appetite. Enjoy desserts, as they provide needed calories and carbohydrates." As a rule, I don't eat greasy, fried foods, but occasionally I'll eat something spicy, which I'll avoid during my treatments. I'm a cab driver and don't have any opportunity to eat in a pleasant atmosphere, nor with friends and family. Enjoying desserts I find questionable as the last paragraph explains.
The above diet list is difficult to follow when I'm driving my cab for twelve hours as I'm often stuck in a cab line waiting for passengers. Yesterday I found myself hitting bathrooms every 20-30 minutes as my need to urinate was too great with the amount of fluids I was taking. The airport "roach coach" has few of the above items, but it does have yogurt, which I ate twice yesterday. My next shopping day is tomorrow and I'll be on a search for items that I can carry to work. Allen had recommended Aloe Vera drinks, which I've been meaning to find as my local grocery store doesn't carry it, will try again tomorrow.
My friend, Wendy, commented in my facebook, "Bruce, have you looked into dietary guidelines to help with your cancer battle? I've heard a lot in the last few years about restricting sugar for cancer patients. You have probably already heard about it, but just wanted to make sure you didn't miss something simple that might help."
I've read in the past that cancer loves sugar and was surprised with the high sugar content of the above list. Also, I've read that a plant based diet fights cancer better than an animal protein diet. Whenever I can, I'll be avoiding red meat and sugar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I should have mentioned that the aloe vera drink is available at health food stores. Get a concentration somewhere around 65% with fruit juice added for dilution and taste.
Post a Comment