The following e-mail was sent to my wife from Jeanette Ely in response to my wife asking about nutrition drinks. Jeanette studied nutrition at Bastyr University and currently lives in Bellingham, Washington. She's a good friend who I think of as my own cousin, I should pick her brain in the near future about other nutritional information.
Hi Aunt Sue,
The nutrition drinks I was talking about are Ensure and Boost type drinks. Also, the old time favorite Carnation Instant Breakfast has extra calories and stuff, if he needs it.
When/If Bruce starts having a hard time swallowing, then try things that are cold, smooth, and soothing. For example: Ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, smoothies, pudding. If it gets to a point where Bruce can only handle swallowing things that are puree'd try mashed potatoes with gravy, or throw the meal in a blender (the kind of blender you'd make a milkshake in). Some people will even buy baby food because it is already puree'd for you. (Add a little gravy to make it taste better.) Fruit smoothies are a good choice. Try using some frozen fruit, with half a banana, and add a "liquid" base. I like to recommend whole milk, half and half, or a high fat yogurt (like the Greek yogurt) as the base for a smoothie if a person needs to add calories.
Taste changes are very common. Like your doctor said, some of the taste buds will be damaged by the radiation. But remember that they will heal, so what tastes bad this week may be okay next week. Also things that Bruce hated his whole life may start to taste good. Keep that in mind when you are trying new foods and experimenting with some of those things I put above.
If nausea is a problem, try allowing things to cool just enough that there isn't too much smell. The smell fo foods usually trigger the nausea, so again cold things are good here too.
What else.....hmm... I can't think of anything else at the moment. A feeding tube is a good idea. Oh, and if the doctor hasn't already said it, cut back on the running. I don't think he has to stop all his activity. Doing some walking on the treadmill, and using his weights for some very light muscle training may be okay.
Love you two, and I will be thinking of you.
Jeanette
This morning I have a radiation appointment at 7:45 a.m. and afterwards will visit Valley Hospital to pre-register for food tube surgery on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Should be a very busy day, now if I can only get to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So glad that you have good resources to rely on.
The changing taste thins is very true with chemo. My grandmother began to love lunchables and eat them regularly during treatment but never was a fan of them before.
Post a Comment