Monday, December 14, 2009

SUMMARY: DECEMBER 6-13, 2009

Daily Quote: "There is no astigmatism attached to getting a little older and slower.  You make up for it by going a little farther." --Cathy Tibbets, Ultra Marathoner.

Could I run an ultra marathon this year?  Maybe a 50k or 50 miler to start??

I did meet my blogging friend, Tanya, on Saturday during the Las Vegas Marathon weekend...she is inspiring for me and her blog is a joy to read , http://tanya-lasvegasmarathon.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default.  I want to race again so badly, but must rebuild my body to take the stress.

I've been rather lax of my blog postings as the healing of my hip joint has been very slow and boring.  All my runs are slow, around the 9-10 minute pace with no speed work nor hill work.  I don't have any running goals, which I can't really plan until my hip joint totally heals.  I no longer have sharp pain on my hip, just a dull ache that goes away after my first mile, I would say I'm about 90% healed.  That said, I'm thrilled that I am running as I had doubts that I would ever run again.  Baby steps, baby steps.

SUMMARY: DECEMBER 6-13, 2009

I ran five days for a total of 31 miles.  Depending how my body feels, next week I may add a sixth day of running.  I hope eventually  my longest run of the week will reach 15 miles in January. Last week was cold and windy, but ran all my runs on the road, last year I would have chickened out and headed for the treadmill. 

I now weigh 177 pounds on a six foot frame and still hope on reaching my racing weight of 165 pounds, which isn't exactly easy during the holiday feasting!

Last week I've retired my New Balance 720's and replaced them with a more minimalist shoe, the Nike Ghost.  I've ran in the Ghost for three runs with no ill effects.

I've continued my modified weight circuit training with additional hip strengthening exercises. I accomplished three sessions of upper body circuit training and did hip strengthening exercises every day.  Weight training has helped keep me sane during the last few frustrating weeks.

My sleeping patterns have been very good with at least eight hours of sleep every night. My morning heart rates are still good, approximately 38-41 bpm.  Easy to get enough sleep when my mileage is so low and running paces are slow and easy.  I believe I'm ready to add a sixth day of running, maybe a 3-miler on Wednesday?

A short recap of last weeks training:
Monday:  Easy run, 4 miles.  Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday:  No runs.  Weight Circuit Training.
Thursday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Easy run, 4 miles.  Weight Circuit Training.
Saturday: No Runs.
Sunday:  Medium Long Run, 11 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 31 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://uhazumuzy.digitalzones.com/tygobymu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

greentigress said...

Hi Bruce!

I am so sorry you call this kind of running slow its not slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am dreaming of keeping up a 12 min mile pace and believe me its still a dream (except once) apart from a one off...
I think its great you are starting to get your mileage up again ... i hope and believe you can run an ultra this year!!!!!