Sunday, December 20, 2009

SUMMARY: DECEMBER 14-20, 2009

Daily Quote:  "Honor the run.  Train enough, but not too much.  Don't rely on yesterday's experience for today's challenge.  Be true to the task.  Know that you are the torchbearer for those younger.  You show them not just what you can do but what they will be able to do.  You show them their future."  --Dr. Walter Bortz, from article "Running, Aging, and Human Potential," in Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009.

The year of 2009 for me has been a disappointing year as in the early Spring I was recovering from a knee injury, and in the Fall suffering from a hip joint injury.  This week I finally feel that I'm a full-fledged runner and not just a recovering runner; I felt no sharp hip pain, nor aches, and my previous knee injury has been totally healed.  I'm looking forward to a fruitful 2010.  As Bortz's above quote states, "train enough, but not too much," I'll no longer be forcing my body to train seven days a week, I'll stick to 5-6 days a week as I'm taking longer to recover due to my old age.  Last week I trained for six days, something I haven't done since last September. 

SUMMARY: DECEMBER 14-20, 2009

I ran six days for a total of 35 miles, my highest weekly mileage since my hip joint injury in September!  My body feels great, but as a precaution I will repeat last week's training before increasing mileage again.  I still haven't done any hill work nor speed training during this current base building, maybe I'll start hill repeats in January, all depends how my body reacts to my training.

I'm frustrated with my weight gain and now weigh 178 pounds on a six foot frame, my goal of reaching my racing weight of 165 pounds will take a little longer than expected.

I've continued my modified weight circuit training with additional hip strengthening exercises. I accomplished three sessions of upper body circuit training and did hip strengthening exercises every day.  I'm considering on changing my weight training routine to include more free weights rather than my usual circuit machines.

My sleeping patterns have been very good with at least eight hours of sleep every night. My morning heart rates are still good, approximately 38-41 bpm.  During the weekends I've been enjoying hour naps in the afternoon.

I'm currently looking at possible goals for 2010, but I do have unfinished business...the "Labor of Love 50k Race," and the "RNR Las Vegas Marathon."

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday:  Easy Run, 4 miles.  Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday:  General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday:  Easy Run, 3 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Thursday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Easy Run, 4 miles.
Saturday: No Runs.
Sunday: Medium-Long Run, 12 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 35 miles.

3 comments:

greentigress said...

38 bpm? you are hardly alive!
;-)
I love that quote!! I think it's going to be great for you if you take one day off a week... I feel like 7 days running a week has always blown my mind - i need loads of recovery days

Tanya said...

Merry Christmas, Bruce-I hope you and your family have a nice holiday!

greentigress said...

Hi Bruce,
Merry Christmas,
I have bought some gels to experiment with and i will find out if they are using any products i can try out for the tadworth 10
!!!!