Daily Quote: "Don't be surprised. Train in the heat and in the cold. Know how to drink and eat. Know where each step is taking you." --Dr. Walter Bortz, from article "Running, Aging, and Human Potential," in Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009.
The above quote reminded me of last Spring when I had intended to run the "The Labor of Love 50k Race," but was intimated with the cold and very windy temperatures, as stated in this blog at that time: "The weather was far from ideal as the winds were simply unbelievable, 35 mph with 55+ mph gusts...and I heard that the wind was even worse near the peak of the mountain. I just couldn't wrap my mind around running my very first 50k with a high altitude climb AND with strong winds. I decided sucking in all this blowing dust and dirt wasn't healthy and sadly dropped out of the race." I did most of my training on the treadmill and wasn't mentally nor physically prepared for running up a mountain in severe weather. This Fall my training is primarily on the roads and hope my wife will allow me to challenge that unfinished business, "The Labor of Love 50k Race" next year.
SUMMARY: DECEMBER 21-27, 2009
I ran six days for a total of 35 miles...the exact same schedule and mileage as the previous week as to allow my body to adjust to the volume before I up the mileage again, this is an extra precaution for my hip joint, although I have no sharp pain nor aches in my hip for two weeks now!! Next week I'll be increasing my Wednesday run to four miles and Saturday's run to 13 miles. I still don't plan any speed work nor hill repeats next week. Baby steps, baby steps!
I've lost a pound and now weigh 177 pounds on a six foot frame, which is surprising due to all the holiday feasting last week! I wonder what my weight would have been today if I didn't splurge during Christmas?
I've continued my modified weight circuit training with additional hip strengthening exercises. I accomplished three sessions of upper body circuit training and did hip strengthening exercises every day. I have experimented with free weights for my biceps and triceps and find that the free weights feel heavier than the circuit machines...undoubtedly I'm using more stabilizing muscles when lifting free weights and that's probably a good thing.
My sleeping patterns have been very good with at least eight hours of sleep every night. My morning heart rates are still good, approximately 38-41 bpm. Cab business has been so slow that I had been taking cat naps at the airport cab holding area. Hopefully, cab business will improve with the upcoming New Year holiday.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Easy Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Easy Run, 3 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Thursday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Easy Run, 4 miles.
Saturday: REST DAY
Sunday: Medium-Long Run, 12 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 35 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Happy New Year! I wish you a succesful, injury free year!
Post a Comment