My friend, Bruce Sharp, died last Sunday as he had lost his struggle with cancer.
I've known Bruce for over 20 years, when he was a fellow YCS driver and then a YCS road supervisor. He was more than just a road supervisor, he was the drivers living Guardian Angel! Like a Guardian Angel, Bruce was assigned to protect and guide the drivers at YCS.
Bruce would be extremely strict with the rules of the road as he wanted every driver to return home safely. A few drivers thought he was too strict, but didn't deny his dedication to protecting the drivers from themselves.
I don't know if many people remembered the old television show, "Hill Street Blues," It was a police show in which each episode would begin with a station briefing by the Sargent. Just before they would all leave the station he would remind them of this thought..."Hey, be safe out there." Bruce's later gruff voice, the professional demeanor, the stress on safety, had made me think of him as that veteran Sargent.
The nature of Bruce's and my friendship was a joking one...we would tease each other mercilessly. I recall one afternoon not long ago when I had a radio call to take an elderly lady to Walgreens. I parked the cab in a assigned spot close to Walgreens door and proceeded to open the rear passenger door for her (normally I would just pause the cab long enough for the passenger being half out of the door before I sped off...just joking Mr. Shranko). When I returned to my driver's seat noticed that I had a message on the onboard computer from Bruce, it said, "Drivers are not allowed to back up the cab per company policy." I immediately called Bruce's cell phone and requested a tow truck. Bruce said, "...did the cab break down?" I replied, "Nope I'm not allowed to back out of the Walgreen's parking spot." He said in that gruff voice, "Get your diseased butt back to work." (Note: I also have cancer.) I was a little surprised that I wasn't later written up.
I'm sure when Bruce drives to the Pearly Gates that Saint Paul will not allow Bruce to back out of Heaven. Bruce is probably up there now whispering down to every cabbies ear, "Hey, be safe out there!"
--Bruce Robison
Checker Cab 3605
#3123
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hence, the project appeared to be so that you can go away out of Pune plus reach Mumbai evening plus get the girl's site during 12am. replica gucci Aunty obtained designed schemes to get this reside without the need of reminding Kashi regarding this. fake chanel handbags I had put together co-ordinated by using all of the girl's associates plus beau plus most people ended up being visiting weather the girl's home during 12. We had became more than enough with colas, snack food items plus mad decor by using social gathering hats. fake dior handbags That it was naturally this doll's seventeenth birthday bash! Just after pertaining to couple of a short time with considering most people became all planed plus sorted. To the working day of your birthday bash, everyone harried around plus obtained your mad day! Most people obtained skilled the girl's a little something plus the woman wound up with through 15 gift ideas. louis vuitton replica That is definitely forgetting the 2 main Lavie baggage we gifted! By education most people exclusively turned finer right until as a final point I actually chosen to take design plus the woman persisted by using design. rolex replica That really We're popular education, We're a distance out of the girl's.
Post a Comment