Daily Quote: "I know that marathon training is not really important compared to pneumonia and all the complications that would go with it, but for a runner, losing that which keeps us positive and on track is frustrating and disabling. Only another athlete can understand that. The race itself is merely frosting, it is what I gain mentally and physically from the training that holds my life together. I’m going buggy laying around watching movies and sleeping between coughing fits." --Wendy Nail, from her blog, which I find extremely motivational and can totally understand her current frustrations.
My tentative running schedule is taking form, I'll be running Monday through Friday, immediately after my 9:00 a.m. radiation treatments, which should give me enough time to eat and prepare for my 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. shift (I drive for Checker Cab) on Monday and Friday.
My days off from running will be Saturday and Sunday, which isn't ideal to have two rest days together, but my wife has the weekends off from work and it wouldn't be fair to leave her in the mornings. Also, work is very stressful during the weekend (I drive Fridays through Mondays) and really shouldn't compound my stress with the fatigue of running.
I immediately rushed to the gym after my 9:00 a.m. radiation appointment.
24 hour Fitness on Rainbow Boulevard. Life Fitness Treadmill set to a 1% grade. Warmup: 10 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph. Intervals, 4 x .25 miles at 6.0 mph (10 minute miles). Walking intervals, one minute. Cooldown, 10 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph. Shoes: NIKE Air Structures. No Polar Heart Rate Monitor as it's in the way of my feeding tube. I was panting after my last running interval and amazed how decreasing my walking intervals by one minute was so difficult to complete my workout. Tomorrow I'll return to two minute walking intervals. I'm disappointed with today's effort, but do realize I'm going to have plenty of fallbacks during my return to running, and have to take today in stride. Baby steps, baby steps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well, lets see. You reduced your walking from 2 minutes to 1 minute, and your body couldn't handle that because it needs more recovery than 1 minute. So, is the problem that you're not walking enough or that you're running too much?
Going back to 2 minutes walking helps, but you're still subjecting your body to relative high stress from the running. I think I would vote in favor of reducing the overall stress level on your body by reducing your running. In fact, if it were me, I wouldn't run at all until I was done with the radiation. Running, even the small amounts you're doing, puts a lot of stress on your body, and your body is already getting high stress from the radiation. Walking puts stress on your body but less stress than that from running.
Post a Comment