Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ran One Mile (with walking intervals)

Daily Quote: "My final thought is for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis or any other disease that slows you down. Nothing is impossible to overcome. You have to take advantage of the good days to make gains and those gains will help you though the bad days. I know runners with cancer, auto-immune diseases, heart problems, and even cerebral palsy. They enjoy their vigor and strength when they can find it and muddle through the weak days knowing there are better ones ahead."  --WendyBird's superb blog, which can be read here.  I love her blog's introduction, "I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2001 when I was 32, and have been struggling to maintain control of my body ever since. I began running in 2007 and have gone from not being able to run for a minute to running a full marathon. I hope my story will inspire others to reach for the stars, even if they feel chained to the depths."

I finally ran one mile today, granted the mile was interspersed with walking breaks, but my achievement felt like I had ran my first marathon!  It's great to be able to run again as I don't really want my cancer to define me.

Immediately after my 9:00 a.m. radiation appointment went to 24 Hour Fitness and jumped on a treadmill.  I had abundant energy as I slept for 10 hours last night and yesterday had a restful afternoon.

Life Fitness Treadmill set to a 1% grade. Warmup: 10 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph. Intervals, 4 x .25 miles at 6.0 mph (10 minute miles). Walking intervals, two minutes. Cooldown, 10 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph. Shoes: NIKE Air Structures. No Polar Heart Rate Monitor as it's in the way of my feeding tube.  Felt like I just jumped the moon accomplishing my first running mile!  Tomorrow will run the mile again, but will cut my walking breaks to one minute.

I started the blog several years ago as to answer many questions from my running friends who wanted to know how I qualified to run the Boston Marathon as most of them have never achieved a "BQ" (Boston Qualifier), since I started this blog I now have had three BQ's, which is a major milestone for an accomplished runner.  The blog at that time showed how I trained, rested, ate, all the while working 12-hour nights.  Also the blog highlighted the results and experiences of my races. Now, my blog has morphed into my struggles and battles with cancer.  When I first started writing about cancer I really didn't wish cancer to define me, now I'm hoping that my return to running will show that cancer can be conquered and I'm better from the horrible experience, that you can't keep a good runner down.  I love Wendy's attitude that "I hope my story will inspire others to reach for the stars, even if they feel chained to the depths."

2 comments:

Allen said...

That's good news, Bruce! Congratulations! I'm glad you're taking baby steps, because you're still getting radiation treatments, and they sap your strength. Yes, your strength will inspire others! You're doing it, and so can we!

WendyBird said...

Congratulations of your first post-cancer mile! They will add up fast and you will be back in no time.
I'm so thrilled that my blog has touched you, you are such an inspriation to so many! Cancer definitely does not define you, "strength in the face of adversity", that is how I see what defines you!