Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Update On Cancer Treatments

Daily Quote: “It gave me a chance to re-evaluate my life and my career. Cancer certainly gives things a new perspective. I would not have won the Tour de France if I had not had cancer. It gave me new strength and focus.”  --Lance Armstrong


I've been lax on my blog updates on my cancer battles, I've been too busy and have been placing most of my emphasis on facebook and forum sites, plus squeezing in all the medical exams, cat scans, treatments, etc makes Bruce a very busy boy.  Here's a recap since my last cancer post:
 
April 11th:  Dr. Treadwell's office for a cat scan on upper chest and right lung. 
 
April 13th:  Biopsy of my right lung at Steinberg Diagnostic.
 
April 17th:  Won bid for a new work schedule that's more compatible to my treatments, but I no longer have Saturdays and Sundays off...I now have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays off.  I still work from 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
 
April 18th:  Dr. Saltz, my dentist, checked the health of my root canals and replaced five fillings as to prepare myself for radiation.  Bad root canals could lead to infections and the removal of my jaw and bad fillings could lose my teeth from the radiation.  I now must use special extra-flouride toothpaste after anytime I eat or drink anything.
 
April 19th:  Dr. Parks tells me the results of right lung biopsy, I also have lung cancer as well as the neck and tongue cancer.
 
April 26th:  First chemotherapy appointment at 10:00 a.m., three hours and 20 minutes of chemo treatment.  I also had my first radiation treatment at 3:00 p.m., only 20 minutes of radiation.
 
April 27th: Second radiation treatment at Dr. Treadwell's office.  Doctor Treadwell consultation tells me of new strategy, the The doctors have determined to separate my radiation & chemo treatments...my first six weeks of chemo & radiation therapy for my tongue and neck cancer, the next six weeks the therapy will be concentrated on my right lung and upper chest...the doctors believe that I would become too sick if they tried to treat everything in eight weeks. Unfortunately, my therapy is now stretched to twelve weeks.
 
Tomorrow I'll be visiting Digestive Associates at 8:00 a.m. for a consultation visit on the need of a feeding tube.  My radiation treatment will be at 11:00 a.m.
 
I'm currently feeling very nauseous and extremely tired, I can't seem to get enough sleep.  I need to be ready for work on Friday.  Back to bed!

3 comments:

Allen said...

Bruce, I've had good success with Aloe Vera drink and nausea. I get it at a health food store, and it tastes good. Mine is 65% aloe vera and the rest is fruit juice and maybe water. Drink that is %100 aloe tasts terrible.

Sara said...

Glad you were able to update your blog.

bizzilizzie said...

Stay strong Bruce...and to do that you must rest as much as you can.... we all want to know how you're doing, but don't run yourself ragged!

One post on your blog, that you can then copy and post to the forum, will keep us all up-to-date with how you are. :-)