Daily Quote: "Listen to the wisdom of your body. It is older. It has been tested. It knows how. Pay respect and learn from its teachings." --Dr. Walter Bortz, from article "Running, Aging, and Human Potential," in Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009.
My body has indeed been tested last year! This year no more "injury recovery" testing!! I've set myself up to the same training cycle that has worked for me in the past...increase mileage every week, but every fourth week a recovery week. Today is my last day of my recovery and/or cut-back week, as usual, Sunday is my longest run of the week, only 10 miles should do the trick.
9:00 a.m. Long(er) Run. 10 miles. Time, 1:34. Overall Pace, 9:27 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines, which traverses the old Las Vegas Marathon course. Partly Cloudy, 51 degrees, winds calm....who could ask anything more from the weather! Average heart rate: 148 bpm. Cardiac Drift 154 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Body felt great, no aches nor pain, and could have easily gone farther and faster. Next Sunday I'll be off recovery and will shoot for a 15 miler.
SUMMARY: JANUARY 11-17, 2010
Recovery Week and ran six days for a total of 33 miles. I'm now ready to increase my mileage the next three weeks before I have another Recovery Week. I feel feisty and eager to run harder and longer.
I gained one pound last week, not surprising as I went on a splurge Saturday night at TGIF and had Jack Daniel's Chicken and Shrimp, plus THREE Margaritas. I now weigh 179 pounds on a six foot frame. My goal for 2010 is to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds.
I've continued my modified weight circuit training with additional hip strengthening exercises. I accomplished three sessions of upper body circuit training and did hip strengthening exercises every day. My left shoulder feels better today, and will cautiously return to the shoulder press machine next week.
I didn't do any crosstraining activities, not even bowling as my league couldn't compete Sunday night due to a large bowling tournament. Oh well, this was a recovery week after all.
What's nice about my Recovery Week is I had plenty of time for extra rest and relaxation, my morning heart rates are good, 37-40 bpm range.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: General Aerobic Run, 5 miles.
Wednesday: Easy Run + Hill Repeats, 4 miles with three hill repeats (about 1/5 mile) at 7:30 minute pace. Weight Circuit Training.
Thursday: General Aerobic Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Saturday: REST DAY. Weight Circuit Training.
Sunday: Long(er) Run, 10 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 33 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
nice mileage!
I couldn't figure out how to email you, so here's the info for that doc (Dr. Michael Milligan):
http://www.universitysportsmed.com/
He was awesome. He's a long distance runner himself and might be doing the 100-miler Lovell! He was realistic and not too 'medical'.
your resting heart rate is amazing!!!
I'm glad you're back on track!
Post a Comment