Saturday, January 23, 2010

Las Vegas Track Club Championship Series

Daily Quote: "Be rested, be fresh, and arrive at the start ready for a full go.  Know that each part of you is ready to go the full course." --Dr. Walter Bortz, from article "Running, Aging, and Human Potential," in Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009.

Today I joined the Las Vegas Track Club and will compete in their Championship Series of 10 events.  As stated in their flyer:  "Who will be the top runner of 2010? Everyone has a chance! The LVTC’s Male and Female winner, plus runners-up, will be chosen based strictly on the number of points accumulated in 10 events. Awards will be presented at the LVTC Holiday Party in December 2010."  I no longer need to pick and choose my next races as the 10 events spread throughout the year, plus the "Labor of Love 50k" and "Las Vegas Marathon," should be more than enough challenges.  The kickoff event is next Saturday, the LVTC Championship Series 10K, held at Mission Hills Park in Henderson. 

I haven't raced since 2008 and nervous about this first race of the year.  The above quote from Dr. Bortz is troubling.  First, I'll be working Friday night until 12:00 a.m., and probably won't get to bed until 1:00 a.m.  Setting my alarm for 6:00 a.m. I'll get just five hours of shut-eye.  Will the lack of sleep affect my racing?  Second, Mission Hills Park is 23 miles away from home, will I awake and travel in time to race?  Third, I'm concerned about my speed as most of my current mileage is base building with no speedwork.  Oh well, my game plan is to not race to win this race, but to complete the race strongly and to gather as much points for the series as possible.

Today is a General Aerobic Run of six miles.  10:00 a.m.  Time, 54:13 minutes.  Overall pace, 8:52 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road, which partially traverses the old Las Vegas Marathon route.  Cloudy, 48 degrees, winds SW at 7 mph.  Average heart rate: 146 bpm.  Cardiac Drift:  155 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.)  Body feels good, a little tired, and felt sluggish during the last mile home.  No aches nor pain and not even a lingering hint from my left hip joint of my previous injury.

Since I haven't raced since 2008, I wonder how accurate my 190 bpm maximum heart rate.  Undoubtedly I'll find out soon enough with the upcoming LVTC Championship Series!

1 comment:

greentigress said...

Oh my god Wow what a challenge! !! can you list all the events? or did i miss something in your blog?
you asked me about bf running - no i absolutely am not ready for the half mile i did i would be crazy to do it again before a lot of running on the spot and other calf strengthening exercises
I will start doing them now that i have healed from the excruciating after running stress on the calves i had lol