Monday, January 4, 2010

My Next Goal

Daily Quote: "Don't make excuses.  Don't rely on someone else.  You are in charge.  You alone can crest the rise, fight the fatigue, master the moment."  --Dr. Walter Bortz, from article "Running, Aging, and Human Potential," in Marathon & Beyond Magazine, Sept/Oct 2009.

I've decided my next "BIG" goal would be to run my very first ultra-marathon race, the race will be the "Labor of Love 50k Race" on April 11th, 2010.  Last year the organizer, Calico Racing, had put on one race that weekend, which was a 50k...this year it's a two day festival with several races to choose from; Labor of Love 100M, 50M, 50K, Marathon, 1/2, & 10K.  I'm tempted to jump to a 50 miler or dare the 100 miler, but I really should increase my race distance gradually and just run a 50k race this Spring...baby steps, baby steps.  Nice to know that April 2011 I could jump to even longer distances near Las Vegas!!  I could do this yearly, an ultra race in the spring, and a marathon in December...this way I can fully recover between long distance races and put in the necessary mileage.

The Calico Racing website (http://www.calicoracing.com/) states: "A 2 day running festival offering a distance for everyone offering back to back opportunities! This spectacularly scenic course is not to be missed. Being at about 4500-7000 foot elevation (depending on race distance) and underneath the National Forest, we can enjoy cooler temperatures. All are gorgeous and only a short drive to Las Vegas!"  I'm already excited for my next racing goal and my enthusiasm will help motivate me to stay on course with my upcoming training!  It's so true, it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Today was an easy Recovery Day from yesterday's 13-miler, just a four mile out-and-back run on the bike trail that runs beside HWY 95 (between Jones and Rainbow).

9:00 a.m.  Recovery Run.  4 miles.  Time 39:33.  Overall pace, 9:53 minute miles.  Partly Cloudy, 43 degrees, wind SW at 5 mph.  Average heart rate, 142 bpm.  Cardiac drift, 158 bpm. (Note my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm).  Easy casual jog and felt no aches nor pain from yesterday's 13 miler.  I was totally lost in thought and before I knew it my run was over.  Tomorrow will be a General Aerobic Run of six miles.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Bruce, I'm excited for you and I'm so glad you're back in the game!

greentigress said...

Baby steps, Baby steps is right!!
I have ultra's in my mind as well although not round the corner...
Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Lorrie Gray said...

That's great Bruce! I know you were really disappointed when you didn't do this 50k last year. I hope everything works out perfectly for you this time.

As I side note, I'll be attempting my first 100 mile race on that very same day (except I expect that it will continue into the next day, too!).