Saturday, April 21, 2007

Salt Lake City Half Marathon

I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon that started 7:00 a.m. sharp under cloudy skies and 42 degrees Fahrenheit and didn't notice any wind!

MILES 1-3: I felt sluggish, had a headache, and was huffing and puffing like a locomotive, undoubtedly my reaction to Salt Lake City's high altitude. I did the same strategy from last August's half marathon in Salt Lake City, I ignored the symptoms and pressed harder.

Only 7 minutes into the race my Garmin Forerunner had lost contact with the satellites, undoubtedly because of the cloudy skies as well as the beautiful tree canopy that covered the course. Nevertheless, I did have a "Plan B," which was my trusty Polar Heart Rate Monitor, my strategy was to keep my heart rate within the range of 170-175 bpm, which is 85-90% of my maximum heart rate; ignoring the mile markers and following how my legs feel.

The first three miles was a steady drop with one very steep downhill. My left ankle was complaining LOUDLY about the hard impact.

MILES: 4-6: My left ankle was hurting and tried altering my stride as to relieve the pain, therefore I just couldn't get comfortable with my rhythm and my pace was suffering. I was wondering if this event would be my first "DNF" (Did not finish), I tried the trick I often use in my training, telling myself, "Just one more mile." This trick worked for two miles and than miraculously the left ankle became a dull ache, which made it possible for me to continue.

MILES: 7-10: I'm striving to make up some time from my earlier lackluster miles, realizing I'm very close to not getting a PB (personal best). I was warming quickly and wished I wasn't wearing my ProTec long sleeve polar shirt. I lost two precious minutes in a portapotty at the 8 mile marker as I was too well hydrated. The pain in my ankle has subsided and I kept trying to pass individual runners ahead of me.

MILES: 11-13.1: The course now has a very gradual incline, which was barely noticeable, except for my heart rate monitor that shows I'm working hard. The last mile was cruel...the course has a long funnel into the finish line, makes you think you're almost done and than realize you still have farther to go. To make matters worse for my ankle, patches of the last mile are COBBLESTONE!! Quite cruel. I finally made it across the finish line with a time of 1:49:27, which is a personal best by a mere 30 seconds. (My last half marathon was 2006 Great Salt Lake Marathon with a time of 1:49:57.) My mile pace was 8:21 minute miles. I was very surprised I achieved a personal best as I was struggling through most of the course, how happy I am that I didn't quit. I was even more happier when Allen and Angie also set personal bests...the about.com forum "Three Musketeers" members came and they conquered.

I won't be running in Salt Lake City next year due to the expense of my running 2008 Boston Marathon. I had fun and success in running my two half marathons in Salt Lake City and wish to return again in 2009. It was a great honor to meet the Guru Allen and the Running Queen Angie!

2 comments:

Allen said...

Judy and I were glad to see your posts on running.about.com We were concerned about your 7 1/2 drive after a hard race.

Nat said...

Bruce great race and congrats on your PR!