Sunday, February 27, 2011

Base Building, February 21-27, 2011

Quote: "There will always be storms.  Challenges are abundant.  Life is better when we accept them, stop wishing them away and start believing in ourselves.  After all, something on the horizon is coming either way."  --Dave Griffin, from the article "After the Last PR," Running Times Magazine, January/February 2011, pg 59.

The above quote struck a chord with my current storm; I no longer cough up blood, but still occasionally spit up blood during my runs.  Last Monday I visited my new primary health care provider, Kyra Norris, she had scheduled me for my next cat scan in six months, gave me an array of blood tests, and scheduled me to see a Ear, Nose & Throat Consultant, Dr. James H Heroy III, M.d., F.A.C.S. on Wednesday.  Wednesday I visited Dr. Heroy and he gave me a throat exam and discovered a lump at the back of my tongue near my larynx, which should have a biopsy...my next visit is scheduled for March 15th. Working with my HMO does take time.

My weight today is 176.5 on my six foot frame!  The weight is coming off very slowly, which is going according to plan as I strive to lose 1-2 pounds per week.  My belonging to about.com's weight loss challenge helps me stay on track with losing weight.  I'm striving to reach 170 pounds during my base building period.

Last week I ran a total of 30 miles, which is the most weekly miles this year!  My mileage base is still being built toward that 60 mpw goal that I have set for myself, but I have to admit something is going to have to give for me to accomplish more mileage...I may have to start cutting out some of my crosstraining as to allow more time for running.  Perhaps eventually running "doubles?!?"  Working twelve hour shifts as a cab driver is problematic, but with strict scheduling and persistence, I should still accomplish my goals without sacrificing sleep in the process.  Last week's training:

Monday: Easy Run, 3 miles. Swam 20 laps.
Tuesday: Easy Run, 5 miles. Upper body weight circuit training.
Wednesday: REST DAY
Thursday: Easy Run, 4 miles. Swam 25 laps.
Friday: Easy Run, 5 miles. Upper body weight circuit training.
Saturday: Easy Medium-Long Run, 9 miles. Cycling, 30 minutes.
Sunday: Easy Run, 4 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 30 miles.

No comments: