Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Muscle Rub Gel

Late last night after work (1:30 a.m.) visited Walgreens to find the product "Arnica" that Allen uses, couldn't find Arnica itself, but did find a new product that has Arnica listed as an ingredient!  The new product is called, "Ironman" and it's a muscle rub gel tropical pain reliever.  The big selling point on the box was a action photo of Belinda Granger (11-Time Ironman Champion) on her cycle, with a seal stating that the product was "Athlete Tested" and "provides relief for World Class Athletes."

The two main ingredients are Camphor and Menthol, which are both topical analgesics.  The box also hypes that this product offers benefits from three natural botanicals and states:

(1) Arnica is know for its legendary muscle and joint soothing qualities.
(2) Horse Chestnut is widely used in Europe for muscle injury and overuse.
(3) Lady Slipper a member of the orchid family, is used for is calming effects in relieving muscle spasms.

I've never bought a topical pain reliever before and was hesitant on purchasing "Ironman" due to memories of the powerful menthol smells from others in my gym's locker rooms.  The product only costs $7.95 and figured what do I have to lose?

It's easy for me to find the spot of my soreness as the injury has left a yellow colored bruise...that has me thinking that it's more of a bruise than an injury.  I put a small amount of "Ironman" on the affected area that gave the hip a light burning sensation...also the familiar menthol smell.  I'm not sure how many times in a day I'll need to apply the ointment, the box says not more than 3 to 4 times daily.  I'll continue to ice the area and I'm still taking ibuprofen every four hours.

No comments: