Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Test Run.

Daily Quote: "A recent literature review published in 'Sports Health' calls for a top-down, rather than ground-up, approach when it comes to identifying the source of running injuries. Reed Ferber, PhD., and colleagues looked at 283 studies that examined running-related injuries and concluded that the connections between weak hip stabilization muscles and running injuries ere far move conclusive than those of atypical foot pronation." --Mackenzie Lobby, Running Times Magazine, article "Tragically Hip. New Research suggests weak hips are behind injuries throughout the body." December 2009, pp 21-26.

The above quoted article has eight described hip exercises to improve my hip strength...how I wish this article was published earlier!! I'll be incorporating the hip strength exercises with my upper body weight circuit training tomorrow.

Today I'll be testing my left hip joint, I plan on running three easy miles, but if I have any sharp pain I'll cease running and walk home.

9:00 a.m. Out and back on HWY 95 Bike Trail. Sunny, 63 degrees, no wind. 3 miles. Time 29:49. Overall pace, 9:56 minute miles. Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac drift: 145 bpm. Shoes: Nike Air Structure Triax.

I'm ecstatic! No sharp hip pain, just a slight ache!! I can return to running, but slowly and cautiously. Tomorrow will be a crosstraining day of swimming and upper body weight lifting. My next day running will be on Thursday, another slow and easy three miler. Baby steps, baby steps.

My run felt easy and wasn't huffing and puffing, no doubt my crosstraining exercises have kept me somewhat aerobically fit.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad to hear that your hip seems to be healing. I have never heard of Running Times magazine before...is it good? Worth a subscription?

Ron said...

hey man I have been tracking your blog for a while now and just wanted to remind you that I am a physical therapist who lives in Vegas. I am a runner/triathlete and have taken TONS of continuing education on running and injuries.....need some help?

lifestudent said...

That is good news and a great start!

robison52 said...

Howdy Sarah! Yup, Running Times Magazine tends to be more technical and leans towards racing and the more serious runners, while Runner's World Magazine leans towards covering a little of everything. You should check out your local newstand like Border Books or Barnes & Noble and take a look at it.

robison52 said...

Howdy Ron! Thanks for the offer, but I'm a poor cab driver who works 12-hour shifts with very little free time...I'm hanging in there and have been reading everything I can about hip joint injuries. I'll definitely keep you in mind whenever I'm in more desperate need of help. Thanks again!!

Tanya said...

That's good news-do you think you'll at least make the half on Dec. 6? The race is coming soon, and I would enjoy very much meeting you in person!

robison52 said...

Howdy Tanya! I've just returned to running again and the Las Vegas Half Marathon is coming so very soon. I may not know until the end of November whether or not I'll be able to race 13.1 miles, currently I'm taking my training one day at a time. Whatever happens I plan on meeting you before the race. We'll need to discuss with others where and when we will meet that weekend.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]twister wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter deutschland de[b][/url]