Sunday, November 6, 2011

SUMMARY: OCTOBER 31-NOVEMBER 6, 2011

Daily Quote: "GYM vs. GENES.  Our DNA may play a major role in how we look, how we act and how long we live, but it doesn't dictate our destiny.  A study finds that people who inherited copies of FTO, the first gene to be linked to obesity, were able to counteract their predisposition to fatness by exercising.  People with FTO were 30% less likely to pack on pounds if they were physically active than if they weren't  GYM:1. GENES:0.  --TIME Magazine, November 14, 2011, pg 22.

Last week was a tough week for me as I had a cold, didn't affect my running, although I was very tired during work.  I'm still fighting the cold with cough syrup at night.

SUMMARY: OCTOBER 31-NOVEMBER 6, 2011

Monday: Run 3.0 miles. (treadmill, 10 minute miles)
Tuesday: Run 1.5 miles. (treadmill, 10 minute mile) & weight circuit training.
Wednesday: Run 3.0 miles. (treadmill, 10 minute miles)
Thursday: Run 1.5 miles, loop around home. (9:50 minute miles)
Friday: Run 3.0 miles. (treadmill 10 minute miles.)
Saturday: Run 1.5 miles, loop around home (9:40 minute miles)
 weight circuit training.
Sunday: REST DAY
Total Weekly Mileage: 13.5 miles.


No aches nor pain as I gradually increase my mileage. Next week I'll attempt a 3.5 mile run, which will be my longest post-cancer run.  I'm really enjoying these slow easy miles with no pressure of future races, in fact, I wouldn't mind if I never raced again.  I'm at peace.

Last week I only increased the Shoulder Press by 5 pounds, which is now a total of 25 pounds. The following is my current routine:

1. Abdominal Crunch. 3 sets of 15 reps on a incline board.
2. Leg Press. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 95 pounds.
3. Leg Extension. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 65 pounds.
4. Leg Curl. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 65 pounds.
5. Chest Press. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 55 pounds.
6. Shoulder Press. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 25 pounds
7. Tricep Extension. 1 set of 15 reps. Weight: 35 pounds.
8. Lat Pull. 1 sets of 15 rep. Weight: 80 pounds.
9. Bicep Curl. 1 set of 15 rep. Weight: 35 pounds.
10. Low Back Extension: 3 sets of 15 reps.


My current body weight is 177 pounds on a six foot frame, which means a body mass index (BMI) of 24.0 that has me at a normal weight.  I've gained a little weight, probably muscle weight from weight circuit training.  I would like to lose seven pounds and will need to focus on my diet more.  Halloween candy was my curse last week!

1 comment:

Allen said...

Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear about your cold. There are, of course, several reasons why one gets a cold, but colds are one of the common symptoms of doing too much too soon. Getting a cold means your immune system is low. The big question, of course, is why?

You're making great progress in your running, Bruce. Congratulations!

"I'm at peace."

Wow, Bruce, you've reached the nirvana of running!