Wednesday, June 8, 2011

FIRST PHASE OF CANCER BATTLE IS COMPLETE!

Daily Quote: "Hope keeps our minds at ease, lowers stress and improves physical health.  Researcher studying heart-disease patients found that optimists were more likely than nonoptimstic patients to take vitamins, eat low fat diets and exercise, thereby reducing their overall coronary risk.  A study of cancer patients revealed that pessimistic patients under the age of 60 were more likely to die within eight months than nonpessimistic patients of the same initial health, status and age."  --Talli Sharot, Article "The Optimism Bias," Time Magazine, June 6, 2011, pg 42.

My hope and optimism is sky high due to finishing my first phase of my cancer battle, which was six weeks of radiation focusing on my tongue, neck, and lymph nodes.  Today starts my second phase of my cancer battle, which will shift the radiation and chemotherapy to focus on my right lung. 

Today I arrived at Dr. Treadwell's office with anticipation on what will be the preparation for my second phase, having another cat scan as to determine the cancer targets, and getting three tattoos to form a triangulation so that my body will be perfectly aligned with the computers. 

The cat scan and tattoos were done within thirty minutes and the technician made my next radiation appointment for June 22nd at 7:30 a.m., yes that's correct, I won't receive any radiation for the next two weeks!!  Originally I was told that I would rest for one week before the second phase, but I do believe my body could use the much needed extra rest and hopefully my poor throat will have extra time to heal before the next phase.  The second phase will be six weeks of chemotherapy on Tuesdays and radiation therapy on Monday-Friday focusing on my right lung.

Even though I won't be having radiation therapy for the next two weeks, I will still be continuing my chemo-therapy appointments, which are every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m and lasts for about three hours...nevertheless, without radiation therapy my body will have plenty of time to rest during the remainder of the week!

The technician gave me a souvenir...my molded face mask that I had to wear during my radiation treatments on my face and neck, I'm treating the mask as a trophy and it now stares down onto the computer from a shelf in the office. It's definitely better than a Jackalope!

My seniority date for Checker Cab Company is June 21st (driving for Checker Cab for 21 years), which means I'll need to renew my T.A. Permit and my DOT Health Card soon, that also means I have to attend the annual T.A. Safety Class that takes three hours as well.  No matter how long a driver has been working as a cab driver it's mandatory by law to take this long, silly, class!  Now that I don't have to awake at 6:30 a.m. for the next two weeks makes it a little easier to take care of business.

Thanks for all the support everyone has given me during the last six weeks, every one of you kept my spirits and hopes up!  I doubt my optimism would be as high without my support team!!

I need to go to bed soon, but don't need to set my alarm clock for 6:30 a.m. for two whole weeks!!!

5 comments:

Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allen said...

Hey, Bruce, let us celebrate with you!

bizzilizzie said...

You are right to have your hope and optimism sky high, Bruce....that is fantastic! ... and now you've got two weeks to get some extra sleep and eat better and get your strength up. You are totally owning this!!!

You are more than past the half way point, because the first half was so much harder than the second half is going to be! :-)

Go Bruce!!

Good luck with your permit renewal and safety classes... hope they are not too tiring.

Allen: liked your song!

Sara said...

Glad you finished phase 1 and have a break from radiation. The extra sleep should help.

WendyBird said...

You rock!!!!!