Sunday, January 23, 2011

A New Year

Daily Quote: "January is a great time to set aside a few days to reassess your personal running vision. Throw out the old; bring in the new." --Jeff Galloway, Olympic runner; writer.

I haven't been posting in this blog because of a bad computer motherboard, plus not much has been happening in my running as I'm very slowly adding more base mileage; ran only 28 miles last week.

Last year, 2010, I made a New Year's Resolution to run more races, therefore decided on running the Las Vegas Competition Series that had a race every month...ran only nine of those series' races due to a sore right hip flexor.  The LVTC Competition Series was fun as I ran a variety of races, 5k, 4 mile, 10k, cross-country, and half marathon.  Also ran my first ultra race, "The Labor of Love 50k Race," when I took 1st Place in the 50-59 year old division.  2010 was a very busy racing year!

I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions this year.  My right hip flexor is much better, nevertheless, I think it would be more prudent if I don't race as much this year.  My overall plan this year is to become a stronger, leaner, running machine.  I'm currently 175 pounds on a six foot frame, but would like to weigh 165 pounds with less body fat.  How should I reach that weight goal?  I definitely need to focus on making healthier food choices with smaller portions and I also should put more focus on weight training.  Would like to experiment with other crosstraining activities too such as rowing machines and maybe even ice skating.

I'll be 59 years old on February 7th, which means this is the last year I'll be in the 50-59 year old age division. Next year I WILL be running the 2012 Las Vegas Competition Series as a monster in the over 60 year old division!!

2 comments:

Marci said...

Good to hear from you, and that you are still running!

Allen said...

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for giving us an overview of how things are going with you. I think you've made a wise choice to use this year to become stronger and then next year when you're the youngest of your new age group, watch out, that flash of lightning was Bruce running by.