Quote: "It is difficult and tiring, to try to do what you cannot yet do. It is not tiring to explore the unfamiliar." --Moshe Feldenkrais.
Today is my first ultra-marathon, "The Labor of Love 50k," that's an out-and back course at Lovell Canyon in the Spring Mountains near Las Vegas.
What concerns me about this race is not the 50k distance, but reaching the high altitude of 7,000 feet elevation. In the past I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon and I didn't fare well in the altitude as I was breathing heavily and had a huge migrane headache, hopefully I'll fare better today.
Also, I'm used to running marathons on flat and fast courses with aid stations every mile and plenty of crowd support...this 50K runs along the paved Lovell Canyon Road for roughly 11 miles twisting and turning covering rolling and gradually uphill terrain. Just before reaching privately owned Sky Ranch, runners turn left onto the dirt Lovell Summit Road. This section becomes tough as runners climb to the summit at roughly 6805 feet by roughly mile 13. 50K runners continue west of the summit along this same dirt road to their turn around point at mile 15.5. Climbing back up to the summit, runners retrace their steps back along Lovell Summit Road back to the paved Lovell Canyon Road where they return to the finish line. Total paved= 22 miles; Total dirt road= 9 miles.
Previous years only the 50k race was scheduled at Lovell Canyon, but this year Calico Racing has made this event a two-day running festival with multiple racing distances; a 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, 50k, 50 Mile, and a 100 Mile race!! We'll all be running the same out-and back course, the difference would be the other longer distances will have more repeats. Today I'll get a taste of what my future 50 miler and 100 miler courses will be like! One interesting note, only the 50k runners will be running on the dirt road to the summit as the other longer distances will stop short and do repeats only on the paved section.
I could have a drop bag for provisions and/or trail shoes at miles 11 and 20 at the junction of the paved and dirt roads, but since I don't own trail shoes I've decided not to have a drop bag and will be wearing my heavier stability shoes, New Balance 729, for the whole duration of the race. Also, I'll be carrying my provisions on my back...I've emptied the bladder of my old Camelbak backpack and will use that for my provisions. I'll also be wearing a one-bottle holster around my waist for fluids and refill the bottle at the aid stations. The provisions I'll be carrying are trail mix, Sport Beans, a banana, a peanut butter and jam sandwich. The 50k course has aid stations at miles 5.8, 11, 15.5, 20, and 25.2, which provide water and Hammer HEED electrolyte drink, cola, Hammer Gel, fruit, salty and sweet snacks, Hammer Electrolyte tablets, basic first aid, and wet towels to stay cool, etc...it's practically a feast compared to what I have had on my long training runs. I prefer what's in my backpack as those foods my stomach is familiar and don't wish to repeat my Boston Marathon bowel troubles.
Normally my races are on Saturdays and since I work Friday nights can only sleep 3-4 hours before awakening, but since today is Sunday I'm able to sleep eight hours and awoke at 4:30 a.m.! What a big difference getting a full night of sleep makes. Ate my usual pre-race breakfast meal of Gatorade and a granola bar as I caught up with my e-mail. Left for the race and arrived at the starting line at 5:30 a.m., a full 30 minutes before the race start. I was treated to an inspirational sight as we watched a 100 miler reach his finish line after running 24 hours...we all cheered him in!
Our race started exactly at 6:00 a.m., we're still in the dark with 43 degree temperatures and a 20-25 mph tailwind. No jack-rabbit starts at this race as every runner started very slowly and gradually found their groove. My own race strategy is to treat this race as a learning experience and run aerobically at conversational pace, no heavy breathing, and no planned paces. I don't plan on any regular walking breaks, but will racewalk steep inclines. I hope to flow over the course.
The first five miles were uneventful as I plodded along and getting into a nice rhythm, nobody passed me, but I didn't pass anyone either. The opposite approach of the road I would see an occasional 100 mile runner with a pacer, which I yelled encouraging remarks along the way. Reached the 5.5 mile aid station and took off my extra outer garments as I was getting rather toasty, the sun was just peaking over the mountain range. I was able to pass another runner just before this station, but didn't know at the time that I wouldn't pass another runner until much later.
The next five miles I was in a dream-like state as I marveled at the fantastic scenery of the Spring Mountains. A deep decline around the 7-mile mark, which lasted for at least a 1/2 mile drop, here I also saw several 100 mile runners making the death march up the steep incline. I wondered how I would fare later on the return trip! I wore a bright yellow singlet as I knew that the Lovell Canyon Road would still be open to traffic and wanted drivers to see me...I didn't plan on a group of bees viewing me as a big yellow daisy as they chased me for about 100 feet...undoubtedly the fastest I ran the whole race!
Reached the 11 mile Aid Station where the drop bags were stashed for those who wanted to wear trail shoes for the next 9 miles. I don't own trail shoes, therefore my stop was brief as I refilled my water bottle. Made a sharp turn onto the rocky gravel road, which is called the Lovell Summit Road. The road is ridiculously steep and the runners uphead must be part billy-goat!! I was reduced to racewalking the twisting and rocky climb. I was breathing too heavily, but finally reached the peak of 7,000 feet and stopped for a minute to enjoy the fantastic views, I'm surrounded by snow mounds! I'm feeling a little dizzy as I'm not accustomed to high altitudes...I'll be visiting this peak again as I still have to run downhill to the turn-around. The downhill was steep, but not effortless, as I tried to run cautiously over the rocks...on every step I felt the sharp rocks and was getting many stone bruises, almost twisted my left ankle twice! I'm now seeing 50k runners making the return trip as we share encouraging remarks...I'm feeling jovial as those runners have me realizing that pretty soon I'll be making the return trip as well and my race is almost half over! Finally made it downhill to the 15.5 mile Aid Station, which I heard a mile away due to the cranked up boom box speakers playing rock music. Refilled my bottle and grabbed a couple of spice cookies from the table, which was too tempting to ignore.
Started my climb back to the peak...and was also able to note how close those who were following me...two runners were only a few minutes behind, a female and male (Later learned they were Karen Weaver from Brownsville, Texas, and John Vigil of North Las Vegas...they finished 6th and 7th Overall). I vowed to stay ahead of them as long as I could, but both passed me just before the peak. I've reached the peak again and I'm really suffering from the extra effort and the effects of high altitude...my left ankle is sore and the bottom of my feet are painfully bruised. I still have a rocky descent to the 15.5 Mile Aid Station and then, mercifully, I'll be back on paved roads. Before I reached the Station, three 4-wheel drive go-carts were screaming up the mountain kicking up loads of dirt and dust, my running was clinging to the far left side as I strive to avoid the mayhem. Thankfully the event only lasted a few minutes. I'm finally back to that flowing feeling as my lower body now feels numb!
Arrived at the 15.5 Mile Aid Station. Caught up to those two runners who had passed me as they stopped to changed back to road shoes and refuel. I didn't stop at the Aid Station as to pass them. How long can I stay ahead of those two? The female in bright red caught me in ten minutes...but didn't see the male runner dressed in black until three miles later. It really feels good to be back on the smooth roads again, BUT now I'm facing a 25 mph headwind! I'm on auto-pilot as I breezed through the rolling downhills, often grabbing my hat as to not have it blown off my head due to the winds. I did keep one watchful eye for those bees, but didn't see them for the rest of the race. One steep descent noticed a van pulling over and a man stepping out with a camera...he asked if I was running the 50k race, and I shouted loudly, "Yup," as he shot a picture of me. I hope the picture doesn't have me with my mouth wide open shouting "Yup!"
Approached the 20 Mile Aid Station and refilled my bottle again. I've been rehydrating using my thirst as a guide, and have been very thirsty the last couple of miles. Decided to eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which felt like sandpaper down my throat. The Aid Station people were extremely helpful and friendly throughout the course, I really should volunteer my services in the near future as to pay-foward those who helped me. I now reached that point where I see this tremendous climb...yup, the same place where I saw those 100 milers making their death march to the finish. I returned to my racewalking mode as to save energy. The headwind was relentless. I no longer felt I was flowing over the course. My left ankle was throbbing and I continued to ignore the pain, too close to the finish to even consider a DNF!
Finally made it to the 25.5 Mile Aid Station and ate two packs of my stored "Sport Beans" as I refilled my bottle again. I continued on my way...suddenly, just over the hill to the right, I heard several guns, a shotgun, repeating rifle, and what sounded like an AK47! Is there a shooting range this near the road? I plodded a little more quickly.
The last two miles was the most painful I've ever experienced running, besides the bottom of my feet and left ankle, my upper thighs wanted me to recognize them too! I just kept pushing myself, I'm not that far away, just one more hill...which was always one more little hill. I see the highway up on the bluff...I'm close, very close to the finish. Just before the finish line another little climb...crossed the timing chip mat with a time of 7:08:06! I accomplished my first ultra-marathon!! It wasn't pretty, in fact, it was just plain ugly, but I did finish.
The race director and timing mat director held me up as they clipped off my computer chip from my shoe. The race director helped me to a table and chair and waited on me like a waitress at a fine restaurant. She delivered me my requested Coke and chocolate chip cookies. She also gave me a finisher's medal and also a hand-painted pot with a cactus! The words hand written on the cactus pot, "Calico Racing's Labor of Love 50k--1st Male 50-59." I would have never guessed I would win an award on my very first ultra-marathon!! Later discovered I was 8th Place Overall.
Discovered only one photo of me during the race, yup the one I was running downhill, I'm the yellow daisy...the photo wasn't very flattering as the photographer was shooting his camera upwards, which makes my bottom half look larger than my top half...you didn't know that I am vain?!? At least I was smiling and my mouth wasn't a big shaped "O!" The photo is copyright protected, but can be viewed here at Evan Pilchik Photography. Found another picture of me here with a group standing around heaters trying to stay warm, we Vegans think anything below 50 degrees is freezing
I can't speak highly enough about Calico Racing, they put on a superb event, everything was perfect, I WILL race this event again!! I'm already planning on doing the 50 miler next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Great read Bruce and congrats on completing first in your age group and 8th (!!!!) overall!!
Awesome achievement!!
Fantastic job Bruce! Great race report too. I can't imagine doing that distance with such big hills. YOU ROCK!!
Awesome Bruce..congratulations
Bruce, what a terrific job on your first ultra-you are truly an inspiration to us all!
Hey, Bruce, you made it; congrats! That peak of 7,000 feet is a mile higher than Vegas. You were in the clouds! Great job!
Wow! Super. that sounds like on heck of a hard run on all those rocks. had to hurt! amazing, you are. 1st place and 8th overall!! what an inspiration you are to the rest of us.
Way to go! First in your age group and 8th overall! That is fantastic! Congratulations!
Bruce...congrats!!!!! And first in your age group to boot! I am so excited for you!!! I somehow missed this when you first posted it. WAY TO GO!!!!
Well done! I'm doing my first 50 miler there in less than two months. Hoping I come though it as well as you did.
Congrats and thanks for a good article!
Post a Comment