Sunday, March 7, 2010

SUMMARY: MARCH 1-7, 2010

Daily Quote: "This is the difference between a race and a workout: A race is a 100 percent effort, and a workout is not.  As far as our bodies are concerned, a 100 percent effort during a time trial or workout is a race.  It results in the same energy depletion, muscle inflammation, and psychological fatigue.  Trust the fitness you have.  Don't waste it on a workout." --Pete Magill, Running Times Magazine, March 2010, pg 20.

Even though I often don't trust my current fitness, I'm pretty good at tapering and know not to overdue my training as to give myself my best shot during the race itself.

SUMMARY: MARCH 1-7, 2010

Last week ran six days for a total of 56 miles, which is my highest mileage week since last September. I also accomplished an 19 miler this morning that's my longest run since my hip joint injury last September, I may not have enough significant mileage for my upcoming "Labor of Love 50k Race" on April 11th, but hope to have at least three long runs in the 20+ mileage range before the race.

Next Wednesday I plan on having a Rest Day as I have a dental appointment for two new crowns and a root canal, not only will I not be running, I'll be taking a day off from work too.  Since March 20th would be my 5k race, I'll consider the extra rest part of my tapering.

I'm still 176 pounds on a six foot frame, sadly I haven't lost any weight, probably due to Saturday's feasting, I must curb my diet during the weekends.  My weight goal is still to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds.

I've continued my modified weight circuit training with additional hip strengthening exercises. I accomplished three sessions of upper body circuit training and did hip strengthening exercises every day.  I'm so bored with lifting weights that it's becoming a dreadful chore...I should consider mixing up my exercises with free weights rather than the same dreary circuit circle.  Only problem I have with mixing up my weight training is that the circuit training machines are aligned so it's fast to complete, with free weights I have to add/subtract weight plates and actually travel around the gym.  Would my life be easier if I had a personal gym at home?  I wonder how much that would cost?

A few other crosstraining activities: Swam for 40 minutes in the pool on Wednesday before work. Bowled three games tonight during "Sunday Night Special" bowling league and practiced bowling yesterday with three games. Did mucho yard work on Saturday that felt like a workout!  Cab business has been very slow and have been walking many laps around the cab holding area at the airport.

Last Monday's morning heart rate was high, 52 bpm, but for the rest of the week my morning heart rates were good, approximately 38-41 bpm.  My body was probably still exhausted from last Sunday's 18 miler, which is why Monday's morning heart rate was rather high.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Tuesday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: Hill Repeats, 6 miles.
Thursday: Medium Long Run, 13 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: REST DAY
Saturday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Sunday: Long Run, 19 miles.
Overall weekly mileage: 56 miles.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Bruce-they just reported that there's snow on the outskirts of Las Vegas? How cold is it-you must be back on the dreadmill?

robison52 said...

Howdy Tanya, Yup the outskirts of Las Vegas has snow, but within the city limits the temperatures has been in the mid-40's and I've been toughing it out on the roads, although I've been very tempted to run the dreadmill yesterday! I need to become tougher as the "Labor of Love 50k Race" goes up Lovell Canyon and may have snow on April 11th.

WendyBird said...

sometimes it is hard to save those big efforts for race day!

greentigress said...

Also frustrated with my weight i have gained a full 2.5 lbs OVER my worst in over a year...
I am finding it impossible to stop eating and have been hating not having my normal body.