Daily Quote: "Runners can become so blinded by pace calculations, weather reports, course concerns, shoe decisions, Gu purchases, technical details (like the correct body lean for downhills), and competitors that they fail to see that a races is not unique among runs. It's not magic. It's not a mystery to be solved. A race is simply a 100 percent effort. And a good race is one in which we find our correct effort level for that day and then maintain it from start to finish." --Pete Magill, Running Times Magazine, March 2010, pg 21.
The above quote does sound like me? Anyone who has been reading this blog knows how anal I can be about details before the race. I worry about the course description, undecided about what carbs I should carry, what my correct pace should be, etc.
Well, this morning I couldn't turn on my Garmin Forerunner 305, it doesn't even record that it's charging. My electronic training partner, whom I named Garfield, is dead. Garfield had been most helpful in my winning many age group awards in past races by helping me stay focus on beating him. I don't know what to do with my training without him. I've pretty much memorized the out-and-back courses distances, but will be clueless about distances that are not normally run. How will I fare without Garfield during my next 5k race on March 20th??? Anybody out there know how I can bring back Garfield from the dead?
This morning I ran without Garfield with no problems, an out-and-back on my usual six mile route, which partially traverses the old "Las Vegas Marathon" course on Torrey Pines.
8:00 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 6 miles. Time, 58:04, Overall Pace, 9:40 minute pace. Weather: Partly Sunny, 45 degrees, Winds South at 15 mph. Average heart rate, 144 bpm. Cardiac drift, 151 bpm. Body felt strong, no aches nor pain. Wore a thermal top with long shorts as I'm freezing with any temperatures below 50 degrees.
Dug out my Polar Heart Rate Monitor for my morning run since I couldn't use Garfield's heart strap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
RIP, Garfield...
These watches are addictive aren't they... Take a few days and mourn his loss and then it's probably time see what the latest technology offers. Maybe the next one should have a female name... longer life expectancy?? :-) Good luck!
That's a great quote!! love it
Post a Comment