Daily Quote: "An injury that decreases or stops your running can turn you into a cranky, irritable human being. But if you continue to remind yourself that the condition is only temporary and you'll be able to return to your normal activity soon, you shouldn't have much trouble coming to terms with the injury psychologically. The simplest way to cope is by adopting some form of cross-training. Its mental benefits are as important as the physical." --Joe Ellis, from his very helpful book, "Running-Injury Free: How to Prevent, Treat and Recover from Dozens of Painful Problems."
My hip joint is still sore and don't plan on running until at least two weeks with the hopes that it's just a muscle sprain and nothing serious. I haven't ran since last Wednesday, which is now four days in a row. I can't even describe how difficult my life has been without running, my depression has returned and I've gained weight too.
This morning went to my local gym, 24 Hour Fitness, and returned to weight lifting, but only did weights for the upper body as to not aggravate my hip joint. After my weight lifting I swam slow and easy for twenty minutes. I find swimming totally boring and it was the longest twenty minutes I've ever had. Longer than waiting in a grocery line, longer than waiting in my cab for a fare, longer than cleaning the cat litter box. I have to admit, the above quote is right on, the mental benefits are as important as the physical, I actually felt cheerful after my post workout shower. I felt like I did at least something to keep myself fit as I keep my hopes alive that I could still run the Las Vegas Marathon if I heal quickly.
SUMMARY, SEPTEMBER 28 - OCTOBER 4, 2009
Finished my seventh week of marathon training with sad results as I now have a hip joint injury due to moving furniture down steps. I ran a measly 37 miles with the last four days being Rest Days. Next week will totally rest my hip joint with no running nor even walking as I attempt to heal myself quickly.
Sadly, I gained five pounds and now weigh 173 pounds on a six foot frame. I must get myself together with a plan or I'll be in big trouble even if my hip joint heals. I can no longer eat like I did when I was running and must cut back on calories, plus doing some form of crosstraining to keep the weight down and my heart strong.
Today I returned to weight lifting and did a modified weight circuit training that avoids leg exercises that would hamper my hip joint recovery. I plan on three weight circuit sessions next week.
I had plenty of rest last week, my sleeping patterns have been great, at least eight hours of sleep every night. My morning heart rates are still good, approximately 38-41 bpm.
I plan on doing more crosstraining next week and will experiment with swimming, cycling, yoga, etc as I strive to find an exercise that doesn't cause pain to my hip joint yet is enjoyable enough for me to do consistently throughout the healing process.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Lactate Threshold Workout, 10 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, roads, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Long Run, 21 miles.
Thursday: Rest.
Friday: Rest.
Saturday: Rest.
Sunday: Rest.
Total Weekly Mileage: 37 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Six days without running or doing anything has left me stir crazy. I'm so happy to get out today thought. Hang in there.
Swimming...I found boring but crossed set increasing time targets with workouts. As I passed the thresholds, I began to find swimming interesting as I learned and employed more techniques that made it easier.
Love your blog. Sorry to hear about the injury. If you have Concept II rowers available, and rowing does not aggravate the hip, give it a try. Long-slow distance on the rower is a bore, but doing intervals of varying lengths isn't too bad, and it will do a great job of maintaining your endurance, revving your metabolism, and burning calories. Good luck!
Sorry to hear about your hip. I struggle with diet all the time, but I find it easier to maintain while not running (ironically). I think its all the carbs I crave!
So sorry to hear about your injury. I just came off of 4 weeks of no running and it was tough. Non runners don't really get it, but I just don't feel complete without running...so I sympathize with how rough it can be. I hope that you can find some cross training that does not aggravate your injury. I will be thinking of you.
I completely know what you mean! I have had a hurt foot for the past 2 weeks and my running has had to significantly decrease. It's torture.
I hope your pain subsides and whatever is going on is just some temporarily out of whack muscle.
and now... how are you feeling so far? How's your hip ? I know I will end up in a mental asylum if I don't run for a week.
Post a Comment