Daily Quote: "Sometimes, when my energy is as good as it gets and the competition is also there, I might decide to run all-out/eager. But I never go into a race intending to run all-out because I'm never sure that circumstances will favor all-out racing. Racing all-out/eager can be extremely difficult and dissonant. By contrast, very hard/eager is harmonious and exhilarating. So I aim for the mentally acceptable racing level, and I deal with unforeseeable circumstances as they arise in the defining moment of a race." --Brian Clarke, from his excellent book, "5k and 10k Training."
Today I'll run the "Runnin' For the House 5k Race" and didn't need to look for any unforeseeable circumstances to alter my racing as this weekend Las Vegas has an excessive heat watch. An excessive heat watch means that a prolonged period of hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Therefore, I decided my acceptable racing level will be comfortably/hard with my focus being to place high in my age group and not strive to accomplish a personal record.
I registered for the race yesterday morning as to avoid the stress of long lines during race morning; I also had the idea that I'll be less likely to skip the race due to the weather. Wasn't long ago when I opted to skip the "Labor of Love 50k Race" due to extremely high winds, and wasn't going to make it easier to DNR (did not run) in this race.
I arrived home from work on Saturday morning at 12:30 a.m., due to my being overly excited with racing this morning couldn't sleep until 1:30 a.m. The race starts at 7:00 a.m. and set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. I awoke from a deep slumber and stumbled into my racing gear.
The Ronald McDonald House is only two miles from my home, which made it very easy for me to get there and accomplish my 20 minute warm-up routine. It's already 81 degrees!!! Approximately 260 runners were prepared to start.
I'm in the third line from the front of the starting line. The race director did the usual race announcements and course outline (a loop course), and the time was already 7:05 a.m. The race director than had a message from the organizer to postpone the start for 10 minutes as many others are still in the registration line. His announcement of a 10 minute postponement brought about a unison of groans. Oh well, more runners mean more charity money for the Ronald McDonald House as I strive to stay positive.
I didn't want to leave the starting line as I was very warmed up already, therefore chatted with several other runners...most have been racing throughout the Spring and this will be their last 5k race for the season...funny, this is my first 5k race for the season, as I spent the Spring season training for my failed "Labor of Love 50k Race." The "Running For the House 5k" has 10 year age groupings rather than the normal 5 year age groupings...and noticed several targets in my age group of 55-64 (I'm 57 years old).
7:18. The race horn blows and we're off running!! Starts off exiting Potosi Street and taking a right onto Sahara, too many runners and was only able to get as close as six feet from the tangent. Sahara Avenue is a gradual uphill street, which helps me pass several runners, as they had started out too fast.
We make a right turn onto Jones Blvd that's flat and was able to pass several more runners, approaching the mile marker and glanced at Garfield (name of my Garmin Forerunner's training partner) and was shocked to realize I forgot to hit the start button!! Oh well, no motivation from Garfield today, nor a more accurate race report. I believe my pace was around 7:20 for the first mile.
We then make a right turn on Oakey Blvd, which is all downhill to Decatur, hit the tangent perfectly with just inches to spare. Several runners breezed past me during this Oakey stretch as I'm not the greatest downhill racer, but I'm doing a good pace in this heat and still feeling strong.
Went past the two mile marker and now making a right turn onto Decatur, which is somewhat flat, and was able to catch a few who had passed me during the downhill stretch. I'm really feeling the heat, my throat is parched and sweating profusely.
As we approach the turn on Sahara I can feel myself slowing down and started my mantra mode of "NEVER GIVE UP!" Sahara Avenue is gradually uphill again and I'm struggling, forcing myself to keeping tall and focus on quick turnovers, but feet didn't seem to want to cooperate as I pushed onward and upward. I didn't pass anyone, nor did anyone pass me.
We finally make it to the last turn on Potosi Street and one runner just blasted past me...I notice the huge computer timer ticking away and was just hitting 24 minutes...frustrated, I lifted my knees and started my own sprint to the finish and almost caught the runner who passed me.
I didn't even notice the final time as I crossed the finishing mats. Five minutes later after drinking some water went to the results table and discovered I won third place out of nine runners in my age group. My time was 24:27. Pretty slow result, but acceptable due to the weather.
We had a pancake breakfast (I skipped the sausage patty) with a variety of fruit, coffee and orange juice. Watched the raffle results, as usual, didn't win anything. Finally, the award ceremony when Ronald McDonald placed my 3rd Place medal around my neck, somewhat surreal to have this icon giving out awards and wished my grandchildren were here to witness it.
Returned home and slept for five hours in my racing clothes, didn't even bother taking my racing shoes off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Way to go! I loved reading your report! :)
Lol @ the passing out asleep. I'm a sleep-after-racing runner and those sleeps feel the BEST. I bet the heat did that to you today.
Well WTG on a great race and you placement! Thanks for skipping the sausage at breakfast. lol
I have a mantra too - it's "Just keep running" sung to the tune of Dori's "just keep swimming" song from Finding Nemo. It helps :o)
Well done for passing on the saussage pancake! LOL
Sounds like a great race!
I tried a mantra suggested somewhere: run easy, run light Today it was great!
oh no, I just groaned when I read you forgot to turn GArfield on... Don't you hate it when that happens but you did quite well without him. Good job and good time for such hot weather. I don't know how you slept in hot sweaty clothes and body, yuck! I want out of my nasty clothes and a shower asap after a run! you must have been dead tired.
Post a Comment